We are the women of the SEC and we will wear whatever we want

Don’t cover it up, ladies

This week the Huffington Post published an article telling young women of the SEC to “cover up.” Author Rebecca Walden begs female students attending SEC games to “start doing us a solid and start covering up.”

She goes on to make some more pretty outlandish and absurd claims like “if you’re doing this for a boy, he’s not the one for you.” In a nutshell, she’s basically body-shaming every single woman on game day.

The article has since been taken down but that hasn’t stopped the women of the SEC from standing up for themselves.

We, Ms. Walden, the women of the SEC, don’t care if you think we should cover up and we aren’t afraid to tell you.

Mary Klepzig, Tennessee

“It’s hot here and we have the right to wear what we want. Honestly, if you think about it, football games aren’t a kid-friendly atmosphere, regardless of what people wear. Alcohol, drunk people, fights, and the language used creates a worse atmosphere than clothing.

“If you are truly worried about what your kids are going to see at a football game, those are the things that should be concerning. It’s also your responsibility as a parent to take what you disagree with in the world and teach your kids the morals you want them to have. It’s not your responsibility to change everyone else’s opinion and culture to accommodate the environment you want your kids to be around.”

Jillian Willard, Alabama

“In the south it is all about dressing up for a game. If I am out all day supporting my team it gets very hot very quickly. I am very into fashion and I will wear whatever I want.”

Alexa Russell, Auburn

“I hoped you would realize that we came to Auburn to wear ‘tasteless’ clothes on game day, not to do this thing you call ‘learning.’ We don’t actually go to class. We skip all of our classes to pick out our scandalous game day outfits. We simply don’t have time to be well-rounded women, silly.”

Alejandra Tenorio, Alabama

“To my fellow women, my younger sister who will one day attend college football games, and future daughter, my advice to you is to wear what you want and flaunt the curves you were born with. And, if anyone out there is bothered by this ― well, they can always watch the game at home.”

Savanna Duckworth, Auburn

“The south is 100 percent humidity, 100 percent of the time so naturally girls are going to wear less, but wearing an airy dress or a cute skirt doesn’t make us, ‘classless.’ The chances of me wearing your elephant scarf, Rebecca Walden, is zero to none, not only because WDE but because I’m not trying to have a heat stroke.

“Everyone has a different standard of dressing and presenting themselves in public and unless God came back in the form of Rebecca Walden, I think this would be a great time to implement the golden rule of ‘live and let live.'”

Alexanda Lampner, UF

“Rebecca Walden, I don’t know if you’ve been to Florida before, but trust me, it’s pretty warm here. So, I’ll wear whatever I want thanks.”

Emily Caylor, Tennessee

“For the first few weeks of football season, it is unbearably hot. The first thing I worry about when choosing an outfit for a football game is not how I look, but how much I’m going to sweat. So when I chose to wear only a sports bra under my checkerboard overalls I wasn’t thinking about trying to impress boys or show off what I have, I was honestly thinking about how hot it was going to be.

“If seeing a few inches of my skin ’embarrassed’ you, then don’t look at me. Yes, my mother knew what I was wearing and she thought I looked cute. So stop shaming girls into believing that dressing a certain way at a college football game determines whether or not they have class. ”

Darby Crane, Alabama

“I’m sorry you feel embarrassed for the young women that passed you on game day. I feel embarrassed for you for body-shaming hundreds of thousands of young women and believing it is OK to do so.”