Why does Trump keep joking about having sex with his daughters?

‘If I weren’t happily married and, ya know, her father’

How would you react if the father of your friend told you: “if she weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her”?

That’s exactly what Trump keeps saying about his daughters on TV, and it’s extremely creepy.

Over the years, Trump has made a number of weird jokes about his daughters, Ivanka and Tiffany. While some brush these comments off as harmless humor, there is something serious to be said about a father who makes gags about incest – it’s disturbing.

In a 1994 interview with The Daily Show, Trump and Marla Maples talk about their new-born baby Tiffany. The new father was asked what attributes the baby has of his and what she has of Maples.

“Well I think she’s got a lot of Marla, she’s a really beautiful baby. She’s got Marla’s legs. We don’t know whether or not she’s got this part [he cups hands around his chest to illustrate breast region] yet.”

Yes that’s right, Trump felt the need to comment on whether his daughter’s breasts would be similar to his wife’s at the baby’s age of barely a year. Forget the traditional proud parent talk of “she has my eyes” or “she has my wife’s smile,” let’s simply talk about the mammary glands of an infant. Definitely not weird at all.

Since then his strange and downright creepy remarks on his daughters has only continued.

When a father is asked to comment on his children, his first response should never be sexual remarks on their physical attributes, and yet that seems to be Trump’s go-to answer when it comes to Ivanka Trump.

In an interview with Ivanka on The Wendy Williams Show, the two are asked what their favorite thing in common is.

Ivanka herself says it’s between real estate and golf, demonstrating their shared interest in business and sports, however, Trump says his favorite thing in common with his daughter is sex.

He even acknowledges the inappropriateness of his response by saying, “Well I was going to say sex but I can’t relate that to her.”

Technically by saying “I was going to say sex” Donald, you’re saying sex. It baffles me why he felt the need to bring sex into the conversation at all since it’s a straightforward and innocent question. Within the first few minutes of being on the show Trump’s already hinting at incest.

In fact, his first responses in many interviews about Ivanka tend to be about her physical appearance.

In a radio interview he mentions how Ivanka is a “great beauty of the world,” bragging about his part in “creating” her, and goes on to explain, “She’s six feet tall, she’s got the best body…”

While there’s no harm in a father simply remarking his daughter is beautiful, and no one is undermining the 34-year-old’s good looks, Trump takes it too far with his specific comments on her body.

Why does he choose to comment on the sex appeal of his daughter as opposed to her intellect, talents and passions? He seems to share nothing about his daughter’s character, making it clear one again, that he believes a woman’s appearance is more important than her personality. It’s sickening but unsurprising that this applies to his view of his own family as well.

In a 2006 episode of The View, Trump is asked his opinions on his daughter being featured in Playboy. He remarks that it would depend on the content, “although she does have a very nice figure” he adds.

When he goes on to say: “If Ivanka weren’t my daughter perhaps I’d be dating her” interviewers are quick to call him out on the inappropriateness of his comments: “Stop it! Oh it’s so weird” and “You know what? You are sick.”

Similar commentary was seen in his interview with Rolling Stone, when he said: “Yeah, [Ivanka’s] really something and what a beauty, that one. If I weren’t happily married, and ya know, her father…”

He trails off but it seems to be clear that he’s once again implying his wish to be intimate (whether romantic or sexual) with his own daughter if the situation had been different.

If this is his idea of a joke it’s certainly not funny, just uncomfortable and wrong on so many levels for a father to be saying such comments about his children. Trump’s fans praise him for his honesty, and his willingness to speak his mind – what about when it comes to gags about incest?