These foods will help you chill when you’re on your period

We asked an expert

We all know the dreaded time of the month, when girls tend to feel unlike themselves and more bloated than ever before. It’s a time for cravings, mood swings, and most of all, cramps. Depending on the day it sometimes seems your body just acts up despite what you seem to be doing .

Then the big question comes up: your body feels cramped and you are moodier than usual. What do you do about it?

We asked Jill West, a dietician from Lafayette, California about ways to help girls reduce the bloated feelings in their bodies.

Iron woman

Keeping inventory of important nutrients that the body needs is important, especially when girls tend to lose some key components when they get to the point in their cycle.

“The only nutrient the body loses during menstruation is iron. In terms of the top foods, it is more complicated than it appears because there are two types of iron: heme-iron and non-heme iron. The body absorbs heme iron better than non-heme iron, West said. So although plant-based foods may be higher in iron content, we aren’t absorbing all of that iron. Animal sources contain heme-iron and three top foods are oysters, clams and lean beef.”

However, there are a variety of ways to make sure there girls replenish the vital nutrient.

West added: “Liver is an excellent source of iron, but not a popular choice, along with being high in cholesterol, so not one I list as a top choice. Non-heme iron comes from plant-based foods. The richest plant-based sources are dark leafy greens (think spinach, kale and swiss chard) and beans (pinto, kidney, soybeans, and lentils).”

Keep on the Fiber Wire

There’s nothing like a warm plate of pasta or a slice of bread to eat your pain away. Who knew that some foods could help stable the dreaded mood swings, too?

According to West, “Eating a combination of lean protein and high fiber foods help stabilize blood sugar and reduce cravings for sweets. Examples of lean protein foods are fish, chicken, turkey, lean pork and lean beef. High fiber foods include beans, lentils, vegetables, quinoa, and whole grain bread, cereals and pasta. Whole grains help prevent mood swings by helping to keep serotonin levels stable.”

“High fiber foods help prevent constipation, which can be problematic during the menstrual cycle.”

Cut back on the caffeine

While caffeine may be a form of craving during time of discomfort, it doesn’t necessarily help keep the body as energized.

West said: “Foods to stay away from include sweets and caffeine. Many women are more tired during their menstrual cycle and reach for sugar and caffeine for a quick pick-me-up.

“Unfortunately the burst of energy is short, causing a significant drop in energy afterward, which can lead to a roller coaster of energy highs and lows as well as mood swings.”

Water and tea is the way to go

Leave it to the vital clear liquid and hot soothing beverages to bring nothing but a good omen to help you start to feel more like yourself.

West said, “Water is the best fluid to choose. Although it seems counter-intuitive to drink water when you feel bloated, drinking enough water helps the body release fluid, which will alleviate water retention and bloating. Another great option is tea—ginger tea can help reduce cramps and green or herbal teas can be calming.”

Whether you are just gaining symptoms or are in the middle of the time, taking care of your body should be the main priority. After all, our bodies do so much for us, isn’t it time we give back to it?

Jill West is a registered dietitian nutritionist with a private practice in Lafayette, CA. For more information you can contact her at 925-310-5545.