An honest guide of things to bring for your first year at Miami

‘The ability to tolerate Greek life’

By now, most incoming Redhawk freshmen have probably put together a shopping list of necessities for their new lives in the dorms at Miami.

Everyone is aware of the essentials, like sticky tack, storage containers, and microwaves. But as a rising Miami senior, I’ve got a little insight to share on how to be ready for your first year on campus. Trust me – I’m 21, so I clearly know everything.

Me, fall of 2013, packed up and ready to head to Oxford

Behold.

Noise canceling headphones/earplugs

Hopefully, you will have great room/hall mates who respect your need for quiet and study hours, but there is just no guarantee. People are obnoxious, and college students are even more obnoxious.

You might end up living in a room roughly the size of a closet with two or three of them. Block them out so you can actually get some sleep.

Low expectations for team sports

If you’re one of those kids who liked going to high school football games every weekend to cheer on your team, get ready to leave that lifestyle behind when you see how truly terrible our football team is – at least until November when you can go home for homecoming, or October when hockey starts up.

Laundry skills

If your mom still does your laundry so you don’t know how to, you’ll want to learn some basics before school starts.

It’s not hard, but some people get to the machines in their dorm’s basement and stare at them like washing clothes is rocket science. Don’t be one of those kids that pays for strangers to wash your clothes.

The ability to deal with the disgusting

Dorms mean shared bathrooms. Shared bathrooms mean sometimes expecting just to go brush your teeth, and then not being able to reach the sinks because someone puked on the floor in front of them the night before.

Also, it can be surprising how terrible some kids are with hygiene once they don’t live with their parents. Be prepared.

An Olive Green/Navy Blue vest

(The one pictured here is online at Macy’s)

No, those aren’t the school colors – they are neutral tones.

Miami is the preppiest school in all the Midwest, and every preppy girl/guy is likely to have a vest or jacket in one of these two hues.

You can easily find flocks of girls wearing the exact same black legging, navy vest, white long sleeve shirt combo, most likely with riding boots. And I know the pressure of the prep is real: I gave in, wore it once, and now this guy lives in the back of my closet in Cleveland.

It looks sad, but if you’re actually into the preppy style, you and your vest will fit right on in.

An embrace for the Athleisure lifestyle

Now this is a trend I can easily get on board with. If you’ve never heard of athleisure, it’s essentially wearing workout clothes all the time because they’re comfy as hell, but looking damn good at the same time.

On Miami’s campus, it just makes sense. Oxford summers are hot, and people are rushing from classes to the rec. I’d rather be sweating in my yoga capris than real clothes. (And on that note, if you get as sumptuously sweaty as I do walking to class on a 90 degree day, get yourself some Gold Bond dry powder spray. You’re welcome.)

An excitement for Greek life/the ability to tolerate Greek life

Miami has one of the largest Greek student bodies in the U.S.

If you’re geared up for joining a brother/sisterhood, then you’ve definitely chosen the right place. But, if you’re like me, and the concept doesn’t really hold any interest for you, then you’ll be fine, too. Just find some good friends and some sort of club to join, and try to ignore when the frats and srats take over uptown when you’re just trying to get in line at Bagel & Deli.

Well, that’s it! Good luck out there, kids. Play your cards right, and maybe you’ll end up like me – friends with a bunch of nerds who take time each year to plan a house photo shoot.