BREAKING: Debbie Wasserman Schultz resigns as DNC Chair

Just two days after the WikiLeaks email revelations

PHILADELPHIA – Reeling from Friday’s WikiLeaks release of 20,000 emails from the Democratic National Convention, Debbie Wasserman Schultz has stepped down as chair of the DNC.

Her resignation comes after months of speculation from the Bernie Sanders camp that she played an active role in fixing the Democratic presidential primaries in favor of presumptive nominee Hillary Clinton.

The email hack, dubbed by WikiLeaks as the “Hillary Leaks series,” confirmed the DNC had planned to use Sanders’ Judaism against him and worked with the media to convey a pro-Clinton agenda.

In a statement released announcing her departure, Wasserman Schultz said she will fulfill her duties as Party Chair, opening and closing the convention. In addition, she will address Democratic Party delegates.

A press release just sent out from Hillary Clinton added: “I want to thank my longtime friend Debbie Wasserman Schultz for her leadership of the Democratic National Committee over the past five years.

“I am grateful to Debbie for getting the Democratic Party to this year’s historic convention in Philadelphia, and I know that this week’s events will be a success thanks to her hard work and leadership.”

Although this undoubtedly stands as a major victory for Sanders, who called earlier today for Wasserman Schultz to step down, saying on ABC’s This Week: “There’s no question to my mind, and I think no question to any objective observer’s mine, that the DNC was supporting Hillary Clinton and was at opposition to our campaign.”

Wasserman Schultz will be temporarily replaced with the DNC’s vice chair, Donna Brazile until the election, according to DNC Communications Director Luis Miranda.

Miranda also came under fire following the email leaks for his implications that the conspiracy regarding Senator Ted Cruz’s father’s involvement with the JFK assassination carried some validity.

Just last week, Wasserman Schultz mocked RNC Chair Reince Priebus’ inability to control his own party’s national convention in Cleveland.

The DNC begins tomorrow.

Additional reporting by Nicole Javorsky.