Why rural America is the best place to celebrate 4th of July

The small town feel is real

The 4th of July is the one day a year when all Americans celebrate our independence in one way, shape, or form. If you ask me, the best way celebrate America is not by lighting a sparkler on your tiny apartment patio as you overlook a bustling metropolitan city.

My family always heads outdoors for Independence day festivities. When I was a kid we used to make homemade piñatas out of balloons and paper mâché and go swimming in the blowup pool.

Leave the downtown Whole Foods behind and head to rural/mid America, where the people are fresher and the grass is greener.  Shop at the local supermarket or even a fruit stand by the side of the road for picnic-style food ideas and take a deep breath of clean air away from the city life.  Fresh strawberries, watermelon, and corn on the cob are some of my favorites to buy for the 4th festivities.  You can also try your hand at some of those cute red, white, and blue Food Network and Pinterest recipes, but unless you’re a certified Martha Stewart, I’m sure the results might not quite live up to the photos online.

My mom’s fruit pizza is always a winner.

The Parades

Small towns have some of the best parades. They may not have the glitz and glam of the big cities, but there’s something inherently refreshing about packing lawn chairs in the back of the car and heading to the 4th of July parade with the family.  The kids have their bags to catch the candy being thrown from floats, and grandma and grandpa are out with their folding chairs and bomb pops in full force.

Most years we head out to a small country town near us called Norwalk for their quaint 4th of July parade.

Fireworks

Disneyland isn’t the only place that has a great fireworks show.  Suburban communities and rural areas often have some of the best firework shows primarily because of their location. They’re out in the open country air, away from all the lights and sights of cities.  Fireflies flicker all around among crickets chirping loudly in the distance.  The whole family can lay out a picnic blanket in the grass and gaze up at the dazzling pyrotechnics going off among the stars in the sky. Speaking of stars, you can actually see those too because there’s no light pollution.  It’s always a treat to stare at the stars on a warm summer night and point out the big dipper.

The stands on the side of the road always have good fireworks to bring home for the 4th.

Depending on where you’re at, you can often see multiple fireworks shows from different directions if you’re at a high spot out in the country. Or you can set off your own, if your state allows it. I’ve heard that it’s very common for people to bring fireworks across state borders, but personally I think there are bigger things being smuggled that law enforcement should be worried about.  It all comes down to safety, and there are things that are legal that can be just as dangerous as measly consumer fireworks from a road stand or Target (I’m not talking about the legit professional kind).

Any type of firework will do.

Outdoors: Picnics and barbecues

Of course, the food is probably the best part of a 4th of July gathering.  It’s always nice to have Uncle sizzling brats and hamburgers on the grill while your cousins are playing Frisbee in the spacious backyard.  And by spacious, I mean huge because we all know how big those country yards are.  The speakers are pumping, and it’s just a very summery feel to be outside with family celebrating on the 4th.

My brother and I are always excited to spend the 4th outside in the country with family. There’s so much empty space!

If you have the luxury of having a lake house, then that’s probably the best place to have your 4th of July celebration. You can take the boat out for a party or just take the jet ski and some inner tubes out for some fun water sports.  Not everyone has access to a lake house though, but you can still go fishing from a lake and have a picnic in the park.

One year we went fishing on the lake and had a picnic.

Last but not least let’s not forget S’mores.  The sweat treats roasting over a crackling campfire in the country and some lit sparklers sizzling away in the darkness are the best way to end the day on a high note.  Sometimes you just need to escape to enjoy life’s small things.

Image from itsrajpatel.blogspot.com