An ode to Croton

If it’s taught me anything, it’s an appreciation for bagels

As I was leaving for college two years ago I never thought that I’d miss my hometown as much as I do today. Growing up I kept saying how small Croton is and how there is never anything to do. Everyone knows everyone, if you know one person in a family you more than likely know everything about them and their family. Living in such a small town made the whole town your family. I knew I would miss my family and friends leaving for school, but the little local places back home were something I’d miss just as much.

Food

I think everyone has their favorite local food places that bring them joy just looking at. I can honestly say that the food in my town I missed just as much as family and friends.

Bagels On Hudson 

New York definitely has the best bagels, but Croton makes bagels to die for. This may just look like an ordinary bagel, but it is so much more than that. Bagels On Hudson makes such soft and warm bagels for so cheap. People from other towns in Westchester will come here just to get bagels with friends. While I was away I had my parents mail me bagels so I could show everyone in Michigan what they were missing. Bagels were by far one of the places I missed the most because mornings after some long nights out I know that I could always find my friends there. Now, they have added fresh and hot donuts to the place. You can customize the donuts however you like and they are made right in front of you.

The Tavern/The Sidecar   

Inside the Sidecar

Tavern food

If you want amazing lunch and dinner The Tavern is the place to be. In this photo I had a turkey burger with goodness just loaded on top and perfectly crisp sweet potato fries. Yes we have food in Michigan but nothing compares to tavern burgers and fries. We’ve even had Ben Stiller come for dinner here, that’s how good it is. As for The Sidecar, this is one of my favorite places for breakfast although it is fairly new. This is the place that made me obsessed with smoothie bowls, they are like heaven in a little bowl.

The Blue Pig

The best ice cream in Westchester. I’m not just saying that because it has won best of Westchester for Ice Cream, but this is made fresh and free from steroids/antibiotics, high fructose corn syrup, and gums. I’ve been going here for years but when it was purchased buy new owners it became even better. At school there’s Cold Stone, but nothing local that is homemade. Blake Lively has even come here for some fresh ice cream.

Nature

I never really appreciated the parks that we have or places to bike/walk at. As I got older I started to have picnics by the water, go on walks by the dam and I finally realized how pretty our town is.

The Landing /Dog Park

One of my favorite places to go with friends and just lay out listening to music relaxing. Also, one of the best places to watch sunsets. Going here reminds you of how pretty the town is just by looking at the water. It took me a while to just go and hang out by the river, but now I can’t think of anything better to do. I get to bring my puppy here all the time to make new friends.

Croton Dam

All I can say is my school definitely does not have this. The dam is one of the most popular places people come to visit. You can walk below where theres a field, park and trail, or you can walk above and look down on the dam. A lot of people come for runs and bike rides, and if I liked running and knew how to ride a bike I would be one of those people (yes, I am 20, and can barely ride a bike).

Final Thoughts

I may have grown up in a town that people have never heard of but there are so many hidden gems waiting to be found here. I always look forward to coming home for breaks during the school year just to eat and hang out with the people I love in a town I love. Croton you are truly one of a kind.