Bernie Sanders spoke to young people in a way no other politician has

America’s future was feeling the Bern

Bernie Sanders, the 74-year-old senator from Vermont, has dominated the youth vote. He was said to be the future of the Democratic Party; not due to the election turnout, but because of his raw appeal that had inspired the next generation. Even if he is not our next President, he has won an even bigger honor of creating a movement full of previous non-voters among the youth.

The uproar in this election has settled down to the two presumptive nominees of Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton; however, Sanders has given a voice to thousands of the youth voters across America. His genuine concern for all citizens regarding various social issues such as citizen inequality, immigration, and poverty is the reason why thousands of youth voters have gotten out of their house to go rally and support him.

According to the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, Sanders has won more votes among the young than Clinton and Trump combined. Exit polls included youth voter data, explaining he had beaten them both in this age category by about 29 percent more. A Wall Street Journal poll released that between Clinton and Sanders, among those younger than 50, Sanders won by 31 points.

In California, voter registration saw a boost of about 218 percent in the Democratic Party. This increase is due to voter increase in voters under age 30 and Latinos, who are the main supporters in the Sanders campaign.

In the common American political language, “liberal” and “conservative” are viewed almost negatively on the far left and right scaling. Similarly, the frequency of the word “socialism” in Sanders’ platform is looked at cynically towards many, specifically the older voters, because of its association with communism and past conflicts. Yet, the idea of socialism has started to be viewed more favorably by younger voters after Sanders stated his plans.

With Trump’s radical ideas tearing apart the Republican Party and Clinton’s past investigation intensely noticed, Sanders has gained the respect of many younger voters with his campaign built around the people. He has taken the time to speak about the mass poverty in America, the high college tuition debt, and the continuous inequality towards minorities. He deeply cares about the issues affecting the young people.

One of his big ideas for free college was the deal breaker for the voters. The majority of older voters opposed this, disapproving the idea of the increase in their taxes. But, the students in college praised Sanders for raising awareness towards the ludicrous amount of money towards a college degree. Also, the financial barrier many college bound students face, limiting their education.

As a democratic socialist, he is ready to bring down the billionaires benefitting from tax breaks. He sees the suffering of millions in America, and youth most definitely appreciates this concern he has.

Ideas such as this are why the younger generation is in favor of this Vermont senator. He advocates for equality for all citizens, ensuring all people are given a life they deserve. In 1963, Sanders was actually arrested as a student at the University of Chicago for civil rights protesting. He was the leader of the Congress of Racial Equality and participated in many protests. From an early age, this man had his heart set on the people.

According to his interview on USA Today, the senator has decided to take his fight onto the Democratic National Convention in order to raise concern on issues not adequately represented within the Democratic Party.

“The middle class of this country has been in decline for 40 years and we need to make it clear that we stand with working families in this country and we are prepared to take on powerful special interests,” Sanders said. “That is what the Democratic Party has got to stand for.”

Although he will not be the Democratic nominee, his passion to continue fighting to raise awareness on social issues is inspiring. His care for America is not unnoticed, the youth is all for him. He has given hope, and hope is a very youthful concept.

The opinion of the youth voters can be the future of America. Sanders has started a revolution among young people, with his platform giving them all voices. This is the political future, with thousands continuing to feel the Bern.