I tried gator tail for the first time at Clark’s Fish Camp

Taxidermied lions, tigers and bears – you can look what you’re eating in the eyes while ordering a meal

For over 30 years, Clark’s Fish Camp Seafood Restaurant has been a staple among tourists and locals alike. Dubbed “The People’s Place,” Clark’s was listed as one of the top five reasons to visit Jacksonville, Florida, by Fox News.

Hadley stands next to the entrance to Clark’s Fish Camp

The restaurant features a large variety of taxidermied animals, ranging from monkeys, bobcats and deer to even giraffes and parrots. You can look what you’re eating in the eyes while ordering a meal.

In addition to the taxidermied decor, Clark’s offers an extensive list of different meats to try. Guests can snack on standard seafood fare or get wild and try python or yak.

While some guests are excited by the ridiculous range of food, others opt for traditional burgers and fries.

Lilly the alligator smiles for the camera from her tank

Amid the dozens of dead critters is a live one. Lilly the alligator is housed in an aquarium with fish and local turtles. Guests can gawk at the gator staring back at them while they wait to be seated.

Clark’s houses dozens of taxidermied animals

Before sitting, we decided to do a loop around the restaurant to explore everything Clark’s has to offer.

At first, we were shocked by the taxidermied animals, though they were funny to point out. The walls were plastered with crazy creatures and bright Christmas lights, leaving barely an inch of empty space.

The view of Clark’s from the dock, a lovely place to go fishing

In addition to being a seafood restaurant, Clark’s also offers an indoor and outdoor bar. Out back is a long dock for guests to walk out and admire Julington Creek’s scenery or go fishing.

The restaurant’s decor is certainly ‘wild’

In the seating area, the majority of the animals are displayed. After taking pictures of deer and birds mounted to the wall, we scored some shots of a lion on the hunt and a tiger that looked deep in thought.

A tiger peers off into the distance

Once we were seated, we took a gander at the menu. We wanted to strike a balance between trying something we’d never eat in a million years and playing it safe with food that we knew we’d like.

Hadley looks over the menu carefully

Once I read over the menu, I was amazed at what Clark’s had to offer. I decided to embrace the “Call of the Wild” and go for something I’d never eaten before. At the same time, I also wanted to try a southern staple.

Between camel, python and llama, there are plenty of choices that will shock and surprise guests

The answer to my conundrum became clear: it was time to try gator tail.

Sticking to southern tradition, we decided to choose between gator tail or frog legs for our appetizer

That’s not to say that there weren’t other interesting plated predators. We considered ordering frog legs for a brief moment, but neither of us could overcome the mental image of taking a bite of fried Kermit the frog.

I was hesitant while trying gator tail for the first time

Finally, our appetizer arrived. Hadley let me take the reins first, as I was the only one who hadn’t tried gator tail before. I dipped a piece in ranch and decided to take the leap.

Turns out, it wasn’t so bad! I liked it better than I expected, even more than most seafood I’ve eaten.

The main course of baby-back ribs, hush puppies and sweet tea

But gator tail couldn’t compare to what we ordered next: barbecued baby-back ribs. I was excited to get a side dish of hush puppies, another southern treat that’s palatable no matter where you’re from.

Even the chandelier is made out of antlers … oh deer

After we finished our food, I snapped more shots of the jungle within the walls of the restaurant. The light-blue Christmas lights complemented the dead decor, creating a Zootopia you can only visit in your nightmares.

A fierce reminder of what your meal used to be

Overall, our trip to Clark’s Fish Camp was fantastic. We left with full bellies and a satisfied sense of adventure, and the decor was a feast for our eyes as well.

While the taxidermy might be difficult for some to stomach, the food certainly is not. With a wide variety of tasty dishes, a scenic view and a reasonable price, Clark’s Fish Camp has something for everyone. It’s easy to see why this southerner’s safari has become such a hit.