We’re not the laziest generation ever and there’s research to prove it

Take that Gen X

According to the results of a huge survey for ManpowerGroup, Generation Y can no longer be called the laziest generation.

Commissioned for a study to question global millennials about their career prospects, job security, and professional outlook for the future they surveyed 19,000 millennials from all income levels, industries, and education levels around the world and 1,500 employers across 25 countries, asking:

1. How confident are you about your career?  How do you prioritize skill development?
  2. How long do you plan to work?  Do you plan to take regular career breaks?
  3. What does job security mean to you?  How important is it?  What would convince you to stay with a particular employer?

The study found that with the changing times and motivations, working millennials are redefining the employer-employee relationship.

When questioning the global population of Generation Y about their confidence in current and future career prospects, the study found that the majority of millennials are confident in a promising professional future.

How most people think we spend our time at work

The most optimistic millennials were found in the US, among a few other countries. 68 percent of US Generation Y-ers are optimistic about immediate job prospects, and 66 percent are confident they can find good work opportunities within three months if they lost their job tomorrow.

UK millennials are more averagely optimistic, with 60 to 69 percent of Generation Y-ers being confident about career prospects, while seventy to 80 percent of their US counterparts are more self-secure.

On top of that, the idea of ‘long-term employment’ is being redefined in the new modern era.  Any connotation of early retirement before sixty is considered to be an ‘antique attitude.’  Instead, Generation Y would rather consider the perspective of career security not job security.

66 per cent of American millennials plan to work past sixty-five, while 12 per cent expect to work until the day they die.

Millennials are more vocal about their intent to factor in long-term breaks, which would account for more than four consecutive weeks away from work, into their career timeline.

The current standard of a full-time employee working 40 hours/week was found to also be an ‘antique attitude.’

In the US, 83 of the target population plan to work more than forty hours/week, while twenty-three percent expect to take on more than fifty hours/week.  On the other side of the Atlantic, UK Generation Y-ers are averaging 41 hours/week of professional work.

With changing full-time standards, millennials are factoring in different priorities that have a greater focus on means of self-care.  In particular, the study found women to expect to take time to take care of others, with 66 percent of global millennials expecting a long-term career break to care for children, while men are more prioritized with taking extended time off for travel and self-relaxation.

When considering job prospects, US millennials have top five priorities that include money, security, benefits, opportunities for career breaks, and great co-workers and employers.

Generation Y is also redefining job security, as millennials are more interested in the security of full-time work, while prioritizing skill development to remain employable, even if that means being flexible with where they choose to work.

ManpowerGroup determined millennials are more interested in challenges and advancement, with 28 per cent of US Gen Y-ers saying that they would move on from an employer if they were not promoted in 12 months.

When asked what would make you stay with an employer, millennials prioritized bonuses, challenges, a good work-life balance, a clear career path, and recognition from professional administration.

The survey did not stop with considering employees.  Looking towards employers, the study included advice on how to effectively harness the strengths of millennial employees to build upon the success of the work environment.

In modern media, millennial stereotypes have gotten a bad reputation for being lazy and self-absorbed.  This study supports that instead, Generation Y-ers are motivated and self-conscious innovators who will become the foundation of the global workforce within the next decade.