Neighbors 2 is not as feminist as everyone says it is

I’m a feminist in a sorority and it annoyed me

I was genuinely excited to see Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising after a lot of buzz about it being a new kind of feminist film – and hearing how the writers got advice from Lena Dunham and other feminist vocalizers.

Sure, for the most part, the movie did show some pretty good steps towards feminism without being too obnoxious or in your face. It follows three girls who decide to make their own sorority based not on sisterhood or philanthropies, but partying. The movie has strong female leads who are unafraid to voice their opinions on the sexist rules that still plague Greek life. This being said, parts of the movie still annoyed my feminist self.

The film depicted a number of feminist stereotypes while putting down the “typical” sorority girl. Nora, Shelby, and Beth – the creators of the new sorority Kappa Nu – are all “alternative.” They reject makeup, tight clothes, heels, etc. Kappa Nus rock hoodies, own their glasses, and sit around passing joints in their free time.

As a feminist, I say you go girl. You do you.

Where the movie started to annoy me was when the “stereotypical” sorority girls were oversimplified and mocked. The girls who wanted to wear tight dresses and do their hair and makeup were portrayed as air-headed Barbies. They pranced around in tiny bikinis, led by the beautiful Selena Gomez, and were all portrayed as mindless clones of each other.

I happen to be a girl who likes to wear makeup. I like clothes. I like to do my hair. I also am a feminist. And surprise, surprise – I can write, I can stand up to sexism, and I can rock a hoodie when I want to. It doesn’t take a group of alternative girls who try too hard to be different and use popular catchphrases like “YAS QUEEN” to rebel against the norm.

Neighbors 2 created two completely divergent types of women: feminist girls who stand up to sexism who are alternative, confident and rule defying and complacent, put together, rule following typical sorority girls. Girls who wants to be girly can be feminist. Kappa Nu could have been filled with dolled up, tight skirt wearing, five inch heel rocking girls – and I’m a little disappointed we didn’t get to see that.

P.S. I was carded when I tried to see this R rated movie because I look 15. It’s fine.