Florida is the most important state in this year’s election

Back into the swing state of things

With the upcoming general election in November, focus has been placed on three crucial states: Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida.

Looking back on every election since 1960, two out of three of these swing states were won by the elected presidents. Whether the three states’ electoral votes go to the Republican or Democratic nominee will greatly influence the election. You could say winning these states is a big deal.

An independent Quinnipiac University poll released this month shows a very narrow margin exists between former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and businessman Donald Trump.

In the state of Florida specifically, the Quinnipiac poll shows slim statistical margins.

Not even a survey question included in the poll regarding the building of a wall along the Mexican border could indicate how Florida would vote. The wall proposal as outlined in Trump’s campaign was split evenly among poll participants at 48 to 48 percent support and opposition.

The two likely party nominees each have leads, but each lead is equalized by the other opponent. Among men, Trump holds a 49 to 36 percent lead in Florida. Clinton has a 48 to 35 percent lead among women. The upcoming election may come down to a battle of the sexes, as whether more men or women show up to cast their ballots may determine a red or blue Florida.

Trump in Florida

The likely Republican nominee’s lead among men and likely Democratic nominee’s lead among women is not uncommon in the southern swing state. According to Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac Poll: “That’s just a normal playing field.”

While the Quinnipiac poll gathers data regarding gender and race, information regarding participants’ ages is not disclosed.
By the numbers, one thing can be determined: This election is too close to call for Florida.