Take a look at YSJ’s brand new SU

They even have £1 pints

Not having an SU during YSJ freshers was slightly annoying, instead we had a temporary tipi, but it was worth the wait as we now have our brand new SU.

I never saw the old SU but it has been described to me as an outdated old pub. Our new SU is equipped with a bar and food area downstairs, and a Starbucks and coffee snug upstairs with a bar open at the weekend. There’s also a shop and rooms available to hire for students.

Judging by the pictures above, what more could you possibly want? We have Pound-a-Pint nights (DBar eat your heart out), and a karaoke night which has already started making memories with a rugby player singing his heart out in his underwear in the SU.

Of course, you can’t beat Archies Day at the end of each term, it’s a YSJ tradition where the drinking starts at 10am and it lasts as long as you can. However, the queue for the opening night stretched the length of campus, with a one-in-one-out policy being operated, as you can’t beat cheap drinks (doubles for singles on spirits) and switching between good music and playing Friends or sports on the flat-screens.

As well as the karaoke and Pound-a-Pint nights there are also weekly events coming up including Superbowl Sunday, Refreshers Fair, varsity, and Oscars night to name a few. The full list of events is on the Facebook page.

It’s also creating jobs for students with the bar staff in the SU all being students. As well as buying YSJ merchandise, you can also pick up free condoms and tampons and there are also people there to discuss societies and teams with. Which is convenient as it’s the place where all the socials start.

I’m sure we’ll be bringing you many a story from the SU in the coming months.