The Tab went along to the Women’s March in York this weekend

‘We will not sacrifice ourselves because one big orange is sat in the White House’

On Saturday 21st January, York joined in the fight for equality.

The first day of Donald Trump’s presidency saw around 600 women-led marches worldwide, comprised of all genders, ages and races, stand up for the protection of our fundamental rights and for the safeguarding of freedoms threatened by recent political events.

The York march was organised less than a week before the event. Organizer Cindy Campbell said that when she realized York was not hosting a march, she had to step up and organize one because “we needed an opportunity to show our support and solidarity too.”

Despite the quick turnaround, the march was a huge success with a crowd of over 350 people. Cindy said she was “absolutely overwhelmed” with the turnout, having only expected the 200 people who responded to the Facebook event.

The march also hosted numerous speakers including Labour MP for York, Rachael Maskell. Maskell’s speech was powerful, reminding us all that women are not objects to be used by men as they please. Everyone at the march stood there that day united with the world, showing that we are all our own people with our own rights, and that we will not stand for misogyny.

Labour MP Rachael Maskell giving her speech

16 year-old speaker, Ella, stood up for human rights, saying that we will not sacrifice ourselves “because one big orange is sat in the White House.”

Spokeswoman Hannah Davies gave the most memorable speech to show women’s strength. Directing her words to all the misogynists worldwide she left them with a challenge, “grab my pussy, I dare you, because my pussy has teeth and it will fucking destroy you.”

Here are some of the best signs at the march: