Ex-YUSU Prez Leatham reaches York Person of the Year finals

Isn’t he just the best guy ever?

Ben Leatham, the former President of the University of York’s Student Union, has been named as a finalist in this year’s York Community Pride Awards.

Leatham’s nomination was largely based on the assistance he provided to students who were affected or feared they were affected by the flooding which hit the city last winter.

He implemented a dedicated telephone number for students to contact for assistance, assured affected students that they would be given temporary accommodation, and personally cycled around the city taking photos of areas of concern for students.

Ben has been rewarded for his year of hard work as a YUSU sabb officer

He has been nominated alongside Nicky Gladstone, who runs the Carecent breakfast group six days a week for those in York who are homeless and sleep rough , and Ian Donaghy, frontman of the nine piece party band Huge, who have organised and played at several charity concerts this year.

The awards are run jointly by the York Press and the City of York Council and are principally sponsored by healthcare provider Benenden. Leatham’s nomination had been put forward by the University’s research development coordinator, Stephanie Pearson.

Leatham was particularly admired among members of Derwent College, where he served as chair of the JCRC before becoming SU president.

He had also endeared himself to students looking for increased representation within the National Union of Students by submitting a ‘One Member One Vote’ motion at the NUS National Conference back in April.

The motion, which would have compelled the NUS to inquire as to the viability of national elections for NUS officers with each student at an institution affiliated with the NUS able to vote for an officer, did not pass.

Leatham told The Tab:

“I can’t believe that I’ve been made a finalist for the award. The York floods were devastating for many and I’m glad I could play a part in easing concerns and helping with the clean up. The other finalists all sound like incredible people and I wish them luck! The fact that York has a ceremony like this exemplifies exactly why I love the city so much.”