Warwick will be given funds to address sexual harassment on campus

The program is worth £2.45m

| UPDATED Hide Images

The funding comes from HEFCE, the Higher Education Funding Council for England, who provide funding to assist the creation of appropriate working conditions for higher education establishments across England.

The £2.45m programme which aims to support projects to reduce and directly tackle sexual harassment on the university campus has just received additional funding.

The urgency for the programme comes from a recent report from Universities UK’s Harassment Taskforce which stated the need for universities and colleges to do more to tackle the problem of sexual harassment on campuses.

The grants have been awarded to over 60 programmes in universities and colleges across the country.

Jo Johnson, Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation had this to say in response: “We take any form of violence and sexual harassment extremely seriously, and expect universities to take a zero-tolerance approach.”

He goes on to state his appreciation for the response to the fund and his hopes that it will hep to provide safer campuses for students in the future.