Design competition underway for £33 million Warwick arts faculty

Five teams are competing

A competition, launched by the University of Warwick, for the design of the new Warwick arts faculty is currently unerway, with five teams competing.

The teams are competing for an “architecturally outstanding” £33 million faculty of arts. Fosters, Grimshaw, WilkinsonEyre, FCBS and Swedish  White Arkitekter are the five short-listed teams. These teams will receive an honorarium of £7,500 (+VAT), and will take part in the initial tender and design concept phase of the competition.

The new learning space, named “Faculty of Arts Development” seeks to unite the departments currently in the Humanities building and Milburn House, into one building. It will be constructed in place of car park 7, located near the main library.

Professor Simon Gilson, Chair of the Arts Faculty said they want a “building that is open, inviting and flexible; a place that allows collaboration, creativity and innovation to flourish, and acts as a hub for public engagement in the humanities and creative arts.”

He continued: “[it] should serve the entire university, its stakeholders and the public by nurturing cultural value and creating partnerships at the regional, national, and international level.”

The winning architect-led multidisciplinary design team will be announced on 1 February 2016.