Everything you need to know about WFFE’s occupation of the Slate

150 people heard speeches on Monday around the Kone

Last Friday, Warwick for Free Education (WFFE) occupied the Slate building in protest over the direction of higher education. This week, the occupation has continued.

Despite Warwick University having banned ‘occupational style protests’, and it actually being illegal, the demonstration has gone unchallenged, and a demonstration of around 150 people heard speeches at the Koan, from 5pm on Monday.

The speeches made condemned the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and marked the 2-year anniversary of the WFFE sit-in where students were sprayed with CS gas.

Following the speeches, the group marched to the Slate and many protesters joined those who were already occupying the building.

What do WFFE want? 

This is part of a wider course of action this week being held by the “Slate Occupation Group”.

The group is aiming to achieve three demands, and will end the occupation upon these being achieved:

1. The university opt out of the so-called ‘Teaching Excellence Framework’ which will be used to raise tuition fees and attack working conditions etc.
  2. That the university meet Warwick Anti- Casualisation’s- 6 demands around working conditions and pay.
  3. That the university scrap the draconian high court injunction which bans ‘occupational style protest’ on campus

Megan Wain, a first year History and Politics student said: “This movement is part of a wider issue within the education system. One which seeks to line the pockets of those at the top, whilst we are saddled with huge amounts of debt and our tutors aren’t paid correctly”.

Warwick For Free Education have commented saying: “The occupation is still going strong into its 6th day. We have an entire of weeks organised, held a fantastic solidarity demonstration on Monday, and still have supplies and messages of support flooding in.

“Sadly, University management have thus far refused to engage with our demands, which have the support of the staff union, UCU, the SU, the Assembly, and thousands of students across campus.”

Photo credit: Warwick SU