Are Warwick’s mental health services really that bad?

We were ranked as one of the worst universities for its mental health services

The Tab recently conducted a mental health survey in which participants rated Warwick as one of the worst universities for its mental health services.

It ranked fourth from bottom out of 30 universities, a statistic I find shocking. Being a sufferer from mental illness, I have personal experience of Warwick’s support system and found the university to be highly supportive.

Recent articles have shown The University of Warwick as one of the least supportive universities for mental health, with Warwick ranking well below the national average.

How can it be that a top 10 university, of such high standing, invests so little in the welfare of its students?

I know that my personal experience of Warwick’s mental health is quite favourable, but am I just an anomaly – a ‘lucky one’? Or is it the case that, despite the lack of funding for mental health services, Warwick are still able to support their students?

Having suffered from major depression and anxiety for over four years now, I find myself amongst the increasing number of UK students who suffer from mental health problems. Joining Warwick in October 2014, I immediately felt safe and supported.

For years I had hidden my mental health problems from friends and family, deciding that keeping my issues to myself was for the best. I didn’t want to be defined by my depression and I was terrified of what people would think of me. Ultimately I was engulfed by fear, scared that I would be treated differently, scared that saying my problems out loud actually meant it was true – I had depression and I felt paralysed to do anything about it.

The environment that I found myself at Warwick, led me to feel comfortable with my mental health problems. I didn’t feel judged, I didn’t feel that there was a stigma surrounding mental health and most importantly – I didn’t feel alone.

Within the first few weeks at Warwick I felt comfortable in talking to my new flat mates about my ill mental health. They encouraged me to talk to my new doctor at the Warwick Health Centre, who immediately prescribed anti-depressants and advised that I start attending counselling sessions through the university’s services.

Within 10 days of seeing my GP, I met with my counsellor for the first time. I was impressed by their free service, I felt comfortable, and for the first time ever I felt as though I was taking charge of my depression – instead of letting it control me.

The support I received from Warwick was not just on a medical level, my department was also exceedingly supportive. I informed my Personal Tutor of my mental health problems, who advised me of the support I was entitled to.

I was told that if I was particularly struggling with low mood, then he would happily grant me extensions for my work. This was especially comforting, as one of my greatest fears was letting my depression affect my studies.

I am fully aware that each person’s experience of Warwick’s mental health services will be different, and not everyone will view their services to be favourable.

I know that my second year at Warwick wasn’t plain sailing or as positive as my first. Unfortunately, the minimum 10 day wait to see a Mental Health Co-Ordinator was too long and the lack of support resulted in a few nights in hospital. This harrowing experience led me to make the incredibly hard decision that I was not well enough to stay at Warwick. Since then I have made the decision to take a year out from university, with the aim of overcoming my depression once and for all.

Warwick’s mental health services may be lacking in funding, but sometimes money isn’t everything. It is the supportive environment and friendly atmosphere of a particular place which also helps aid students in need of crucial help and support.