Warwick for Free Education condemn SU candidate who described feminism as a ‘cancer’

They want students to vote against him

Warwick for Free Education (WFFE) have taken the “extraordinary” decision to denounce Development Executive candidate Jack Hadfield, a second year PAIS student.

In a lengthy online post, WFFE claim Mr Hadfield has “views so poisonous that their exposure is overwhelmingly in the student interest”. The group have criticised Hadfield’s views on feminism, claiming that his views have increased the level of “ideological opposition to feminist and anti-rape activity on campus”.

They cite a number of his tweets in support of their argument, including one where he describes feminism as a “cancer”. 

WFFE have heavily criticised several of Hadfield’s tweets

WFFE further condemn Hadfield’s for his response to the “Bananagate” affair at Warwick, where he tweeted that the whole affair was a hoax. The tweets have since been deleted.

In response, Hadfield said he is “disappointed” with the article and that it contains “complete falsehoods and misquotes.” He added that WFFE’s action “clearly constitutes negative campaigning, of which there are stringent rules against in this election.

“My individual views on wider world issues have no bearing on what I can bring to the table as a member of the Development Exec. I also have friends from across the political spectrum who have denounced WFFE’s actions.”

He has since lodged a complaint with the SU Democracy and Development office and awaits a ruling from the adjudication committee.

“The fact that the piece was anonymous astounded me. If anyone wants to debate me on political issues, I encourage them to talk to me face to face, and not hide behind a monitor”.

Warwick SU have been contacted for comment.

Voting closes at 9pm on Thursday 20th October.