Luton is a bit rough, but that’s what makes it so great

Lutonians are the best people in the UK

Oh, Luton. Full of hopes of those who wanted to live in London, but had to settle for the cheapest alternative. In a recent survey, Luton was branded the worst place to live in humanity. Forget the worries of IS and the Gaza Strip, it’s apparently worse to live in Luton apparently.

But anyone who is lucky enough to live in this much misunderstood town will know this just isn’t true. Luton, for all its faults, comes out on top in so many ways.

We’re perhaps the most well connected place in the world

Most people know about us for the airport and, ironically, one of the ways Luton is wonderful is just how easy to escape the town. You can leave your house, hop on a regular 24 bus from Sainsbury’s Bramingham and be shopping on Oxford Street within an hour. Or you can drive five minutes to your local airport and be in another country within a couple of hours. What other small town can boast about having an airport?

Everyone secretly loves our accent

We may drop our ‘t’s’ sometimes, but that’s about it. While we may be seen to live in one of the chavviest, scummiest towns in the country, we’re always told that our accent is Standard English, just like our London and Essex aspirations.

At Luton Airport you’ll find the people who champion our beloved but maligned south east accent. It’s the EasyJet staff wearing bright orange (both uniform and make up) who speak Standard English and fly the flag for our wonderful hometown. Some call it harsh, but we wouldn’t have it any other way.

The first Domino’s Pizza branch was created in Luton

A logo recognised by the world, all thanks to Luton.

Without Luton, a uni student would die. Simple. The first Domino’s store was opened in my hometown, and it’s saved me on many a night out. Domino’s has curbed many a potential hangover the morning after.

The Mall is the best shopping centre in the country

We had Lewis Hamilton celebrating our shopping centre.

Where would we be without the Galaxy? Cheeky Saturday night out with the LADS to Aroma and Cookies and Cream, then hitting the “Shitehouse” for pres, spoiling your mates with a G&T before you strut yourself down to Park Street and drink the night away in Yates. Us Lutonians know how to go on a long bender.

The curly wurly car park is like being on a rollercoaster

The curly wurly car park in The Mall is without doubt the biggest thrill of the town. Going up and down the entrance and exit to the car park is on par with being at Alton Towers. You can’t be classed as a Lutonian unless you’ve parked in the car park purely because it looks exciting and you’d walk into the “Mall” near HMV and Woolworths (Rest in Peace).

We’re a lot more friendly than people give us credit for

We can always spot Jaymi on a night out

We’re not all racists, but a town where for the most part everyone gets on with each other. We’re not all EDL and Britain First. From Bury Park to Lewsey Farm, Marsh Farm to Tintown, all connected by the A6. We all love each other for being a Lutonian.

Luton is full of feel-good stories too. Whether it be a ‘Star Walk’ raising money for charity, or the famous Alan Titchmarsh doing up the garden in the children’s hospice, Luton really can improve the lives of those who are in need across the local area.

We’re one of the most diverse places in the country

Luton has a long and proud history of welcoming arrivals to the town from overseas and, with more than 100 languages being spoken in the town, it is one of the most vibrant multicultural environments in the country. Irish, Pakistan, Kashmir, Bangladesh, India, Africa, the West Indies, Vietnam and Bosnia – we welcome everyone with open arms.

Our homegrown celebrities are heroes

We’ve also got some wonderful people from our town that have provided entertainment across TV’s and radios for the whole nation. Where would we be as a nation without the delightful Jaymi Hensley? The lead singer of Union J, arguably the fourth biggest band to come out of X Factor? And we all know what fourth means. “Fourth the Golden Eagle”. Luton flies the flag for championing talent.

Luton Carnival is a spectacle to behold

The Olympics had to match Luton.

Luton Carnival is a time when everyone from all walk of life comes together and celebrates the best of our town. We’ve all seen too much of a “larger than life woman” called Shirly walking round Wardown Park Museum and smelling the TCP jar for the 27th time. We’ve all seen a 7-year-old walking down Old Bedford Road in their carnival hat. We’ve all listened to the music that BBC Introducing subjected us to. Nobody wants to listen to heavy metal on carnival day. They never learn. But we love it. The Olympics even had to compete with Luton Carnival. We’re much bigger. Luton is larger than life.

Our nightlife might be a bit shit, but we love it anyway

The fresh face of someone on their first night ‘out out’.

Big days and big nights aren’t uncommon in Luton. As soon as you get to Sixth Form (the Luton age of drinking seems to be 16, perfect for practicing those nights out at Uni!) you’re welcomed to the glistening night out in Luton. Charlie Brown’s usend to be a haven for learning the art of how to pull. It was a right of passage for all generations to get one too many vodbulls down you and grind to I Love It by Icona Pop and the photographer catches you gurning at the worst moment. Are you really been a Lutonion unless you’ve gone to Charlie Brown’s and had your own sweat drip from the ceiling, whilst being too certain that you just saw someone giving a blowjob in the corner of the club?

Unfortunately now we’re just left with Yates, it’s not the same but we make the most of it. At least Chicken George hasn’t changed.

You can do anything you want

Snow days as a child were the best days ever on the Warden Hills.

Anything you want to do? We’ve got it covered. We’ve got a bowling alley, we’ve got a cinema, we’ve got a Discovery Centre, we even have one of the best swimming pools in the country, where Tom Daley’s dived from. We’ve got golf ranges, and the best hills to sled down on the blissful snow days.

Luton is a world of exploration and infinite possibilities.

Come on you Hatters!

Even since I was a young child, I’ve been wearing my Luton hat with pride.

At least once a fortnight, the town erupts into “We Love you Luton, we do!”. The town becomes a sea of orange and blue, always displaying top quality football.  Kenilworth Road, a synonym for good quality play and where the whole town gathers to cheer on the town against Satan (Watford). Just don’t mention Swansea.

We can all agree that with its lovely people and plenty of things to see and do, we’d rather live in Luton than anywhere else. Houghton Regis and Dunstable, it’s a no. Luton: you have my heart.

@ellensoph