Which month of the year is your uni

Everyone wants to be August

Months and unis can be pretty similar: they all have their ups and downs, the bits you love about them then bits you so fucking wish didn’t exist.

It’s not just the crushing/uplifting months of deadlines and Christmas that bring both moments of pure ecstasy and days where all you can do is cry. You can look forward to those beautiful months of summer, the places in the world you’re going to travel, the festivals you’re planning on going to, but before we get there to that gloriously long summer you’ve got summer hands ins and exams to hurdle over first.

January – Durham

Oh to be able to afford a skiing holiday

It’s cold, it’s wet, it’s miserable. Christmas is definitely over, you’ve returned to uni with an empty fridge, a few supplies from mum to help you with your studies and an extra electric heater to keep you warm while you do it. Your housemates rerun in dribs and drabs and you have a few good nights to celebrate being back.

Let’s be honest, no one actually went back to Durham for a night out, where would you go, what would you do? January and Durham are ideally suited, despite graduation being in summer Durham knows of the chilly temperatures and provides graduation gowns with chic fur rims.

Durham may be a miserable, but it certainly has class and most Durham students aren’t stuck with the yearly January money crisis.

February – Liverpool

Dry January is finally over, exams are finally over so what a better way to celebrate in one of the best cities in the UK. February is one of those weird months, it lacks a few days, has to be awkward and is home to a day that people either love or hate.

But whether you’re single or in a relationship anyone can have fun have fun on the 14th. Single ladies can grab their best gals and go out out for a night you’ll probably forget, have fun and remember the night isn’t about pulling, it’s abut trying to get a taxi to take you to Chester’s where you can proudly scoff down as much fried chicken and chips as you like, you’ll get no looks and you haven’t got to worry about boys to please.

March – Birmingham

Hopefully the campus is looking like a slightly more appealing place to spend time between lecture, you’ve got no imminent deadlines so cracking down in the library at every possible second can be replaced by chilling with a cook and coffee outside.

You can finally go on a night out and just about bear not taking a coat meaning £2 extra for your drinking budget and no cloakroom fee. Plus, the bustling markets down by the Bull Ring are much more enjoyable with slightly less drizzle, packing an umbrella is probably still wise though.

April – Cambridge

Supposedly one of the sought after romping spots

You just can’t imagine Cambridge without lush green grass, the first few buds of summer poking through the gardens yet it still being cold enough to merit a Barbour jacket, Jack Wills gilet and some nice boots. Its beautiful stoney buildings take you back to a different time.

You may even be lucky and get a few days of sun, take advantage of it because let’s be honest we live in England and even in summer it’s a rare occasion. Pack a picnic and have a wonder, it’s a beautiful city to live in and April is the start (fingers crossed) of better weather. It’s also been known Cambridge students like to get down and dirty in the strangest of places, for those out-doorsy types April could be the start of the alfresco season. Find your picnic blankets.

May – Newcastle

Things are looking up: before long it’ll be June and temperatures will have risen meaning you can leave the winter accessories behind and replace them with a cool pair of sunnies. May isn’t that great though, it’s full of deadlines and exams.

Long library sessions are a must, and you end up spending all of your money on coffee, but by final year you learn to take a flask instead -much like you learn not to bother with Bijoux and stick on trainers and a windbreaker for World Headquarters instead.

June – UCL

London is stressful at the best of times, constant streams of students, families, business men and women. Everywhere has somewhere to be. In summer, it only gets worst, add tourists and the groups of schools trips on vacation with their matching yellow rucksacks, you could say it’s unbearable. Maybe that’s why by the time July comes round student’s head back home to enjoy a peaceful summer.

However, it does have its perks – a few bottes of Rekorderlig, a mini rig, some good tunes and a few good friends around you sat at the top of Primrose Hill isn’t something to complain about. Not to mention, London’s night life is top class too, whether you get down and grimey too bass weight at Shapes in Hackney or spend the night with your feet sticking to the floor at Fabric.

July – Leeds

Leeds in Summer is beautiful, exams are over, and this glorious month of nothing to do is much like the students of Leeds. The lovers of free parties, of staying out til the sun comes up, of crop tops and harem pants and finding new parties to appropriate south Asian culture with bindis in their thousands. Leeds is definitely a summer city.

August – UWE

Bucket hats, bottle of water and Boomtown has Bristol written all over it

August arguably the most exciting month of summer with some of the best festivals taking place. Shambala embraces everything we love about Bristol – extravagant people, vibrant dancing, good music, love for every kind of person and the want to dance all through the day and night. Just a short trip away from Bristol itself theirs the one and only Boomtown. Its like an exaggerated, magical version of what Bristol could be like without houses and shops.

When the day parties turn to night retro 90s jackets are all the rage to pair with crop crochet tops. Perfect for keeping the chill off whilst you escape the sweat droplets dripping from the ceiling in Motion. After hours of partying under dim lights you leave at 6am to the bright sun leaving your eyes squinting, don’t worry soon you’ll be back in someone’s cosy house, the curtains will be drawn, DJ Rum will be playing in the background and “pass the cracker” will the the words you hear most for the rest of the night.

September – Cardiff

Ah the month of new beginnings, of new friends, of burning pasta to your brand new sauce pan your nan got you. It’s always a nerve racking, hard to remember, blur but Cardiff’s very own Greyfriars Road is probably the place you’ll have seen some of your now closest friends in their worst states. Fresher’s is all about pushing boundaries, head to Glam, Pryzm or Revs and buy as many jager bombs you can afford/can stomach to see who’s a lightweight and who can push the boundaries of drinking.

September is all about change and trying new things, maybe you’ll wake up in halls you don’t recognise or with a traffic cone on your bed. September is a month of fun, heartache and bad food. Cardiff students seem to be pros at the balance of getting fucked and getting good grades.

October – Manchester

Manchester is home to the infamous warehouse project, which probably says enough about how fun it is. From Thom Yorke, to Ben Klock to Skream nightlife is Manchester is all about excitement. As far as October goes, you’ve got Halloween, Guy Fawkes and Christmas you can start looking forward to.

November – Exeter

These girls however get A+++ for style

Poor Exeter it hasn’t really got a lot going for it on the social side of life. Yes you’re a Russell Group uni and it is a pretty beautiful city what with Cathedral Green and the quay however, similar to the month before Christmas, it is ultimately boring and uneventful. Cathedral Green is beautiful on cold crisp days but how many of these do we actually get? It’s more likely to be wet and rainy and you’re stuck inside the library buying over priced decaf soya lattes or matcha tea from Costa every hour.

Exeter students are a clever bunch, living right between two cities that actually have a decent night life does make weekends more bearable when you want to party late into the night. November is the month you’re in waiting to get to December, Exeter is the city you drive through to get to Plymouth from banging Bristol.

December – Edinburgh

Think castles, snow, wrapped up warm with mulled wine. Imagine Hogwarts and you’ve pretty much just pictured Edinburgh. Except you can see all that while shopping for Christmas presents on Princess Street. Edinburgh students are so used to the cold even in December you can see them queuing for nights out in nothing but a t shirt and even the girls seem to brave the cold in a dress and heels.

Edinburgh uni is beautiful and it’s all the best things about Christmas: the cosy fires and delicious food, unwrapping presents and falling asleep mid way through the Doctor Who Christmas special. Herriot Watt is the lows of the festive period: the clearing up endless amounts of wrapping paper and feeling slightly sick cause you’ve eaten too much of everything.