Ahmd Emara: An exclusive interview with UWE’s most popular BNOC

‘Nothing can break you, you can only break yourself’

Ahmd Emara needs no introduction. He is the undisputed king of UWE.

We see him everywhere, whether it be making an appearance at the SU’s Tuesday lock in, selling tickets for events on our front doors or walking round campus with bags of sweets on the way to his next event.

But he’s most present on social media. You should be seriously offended if you don’t have him as a friend on Facebook. Although Ahmd is such a known name around campus and everyone has an opinion on him, it seems we still don’t know everything. So The Tab sat down with the BNOC and asked him to reveal all.

Legend

Where are you from?

I am from Egypt.

When did you first move to Bristol and why?

I moved to Bristol in January 2015 to start my LLM degree (postgraduate Law).

What made you famous at UWE?

I don’t know if I can consider myself famous or not, but what I can say is that being alone in a new country with no friends or family made me really keen to have many friends and to socialise. I tried to be nice and friendly and get over unpleasant stuff from some people who were just attacking me for different reasons and none of them were because of something I did. I had my ups and downs, but I was always trying to help and support others and do what I believe in family spirit.

Ahmd’s known all over the world

What roles do you have at UWE?

I am Frenchay campus officer, NUS delegate, student rep and law department rep.

How do you cope under pressure?

I cope under pressure by making the pressure my real motivation for success. I ran for the SU elections in March despite being in UWE for only two months at that time. I got 638 votes and came fourth out of seven candidates. I ran for three elections later – Frenchay Campus Officer, NUS delegate and Department Rep – and I got them. Nothing can break you, you can only break yourself. Nothing can stop you, you can only stop yourself. You only can set your own limits. How far you can go is your own choice.

Bffs

How do you feel about being the BNOC?

I think being a BNOC doesn’t seem sound to many people and that’s why they just keep focusing on everything I do as if it’s only me who does it. It’s very embarrassing when you are walking with your female friend and people keep telling you that you pulled a girl or when they take photos of you dancing in a club and post it as if no one else was dancing. You lose your privacy, but also it’s nice when you find someone who does not know you personally and tell you “I voted for you”. I hope I was able to leave a positive impact and not just a smile on people’s faces.

Has this fame on campus affected you in any way?

It has affected me in both a good way and bad way. Good way to make the process of speaking with people a bit easier and bad way as it made people judge me without even knowing me and many of those judgements were unfair. People started to spread rumours about me and some of them were unpleasant.

What was the inspiration for AHMD On The Spot?

The inspiration for Ahmd on the Spot was a message for everybody that we need a place free of negativity, where we can relax and get some positive energy to recharge our batteries and cope with every day hard situations.

Do you ever miss the SU’s Tuesday Lock in?

I didn’t miss many nights of the Lock in, but currently after being the Campus Officer I can’t enjoy it in the same way like before because being in a position of responsibility requires you to act in a different way and also for each stage there are different requirements.         

All the photos

Do you have outfits picked out for the week or do you make it up as you go along?

I only decide what I am going to wear before going out according to what I feel like dressing like at that time, but I like buying clothes.

You once got #AhmdIsSingle trending. Is Ahmd still single?

Ahmd is still single because I don’t think that anybody can bear or stand all that I have in my life unless they truly believe in me and are ready to face all the hard situations I am having. I promise you if I am lucky enough to find this person I will endeavour to make them the happiest.

Not for long