Stop telling me you’ve got no time to get a part-time job, you do

Don’t tell me it’s imposible to balance uni, work, and your social life

Term’s nearly over which can mean only one thing: you’re probably drowning in your overdraft right about now.

The next instalment of your maintenance grant seems like light-years away and you’re surviving on a diet of noodles and cold beans.

When you’re this broke, there are only two options really: sign up to “questionable” drug tests or get a part time job.

Only problem is a part-time job means your social life has to seriously suffer. Doesn’t it? Or is it actually possible to keep up the usual levels of studying, partying and sleeping?

We asked a couple of students with part-time jobs about their experience.

Amy, 3rd year Fashion textiles

Do you feel you manage your study and work life well?
I would think yes. I always meet deadlines and I still have time to have social gatherings from time to time.

Do you feel more financially secure than those relying on just a student loan?
Yeah I do, a lot of my friends struggle to pay for materials and uni stuff and a lot struggle to pay for rent in some cases.

Does your part time job accommodate for your university work?
It’s good as I work on the weekend and then uni in the week, although uni is my biggest priority so working all weekend means I don’t always have the time to socialise.

So do you feel you don’t get enough of a social life?
I do at the beginning of my projects and make sure I have a break from uni work and work every now and again. I seem to balance it out okay.

George, 1st Year Journalism

That’s George on the left by the way

I think I’ve got a good balance of study and work life, as I only work one five hour shift on a Friday night.

I feel as though this (roughly £40) a week is enough to support me financially, as I don’t have much money left over from my student loan for living expenses.

My work is really flexible with my hours and they don’t put too much pressure on me, so I don’t feel as though it affects my uni work.

Do you feel you get enough of a social life?
That’s the only problem with having this one shift on a Friday night until 11 as its when most students are out. I still make it out after work though and there’s plenty of other days for nights out anyway.

Fitting in a bit of studying while at work

Personally, my own part-time job often means I miss a night out here and there but I never have to worry about feeling out of the loop.

If sacrificing one night at Bunker means I can afford books and rent, I can’t complain.

Many larger companies such as supermarkets even provide staff the option to go on study leave, swap shifts, or drop hours around exam time so it’s never hard to accommodate your uni work.

If you still think you wouldn’t be able to get a part-time job, better hope that overdraft doesn’t run out soon.