Trapped drunk freshers have sing-a-long to stay calm in broken lift

They’re going to use the stairs in future

exclusive

A group of hammered students found an original way to calm themselves down when they were stuck inside a broken lift on Friday night.

Shocked passers-by stopped to take videos of the trapped group of UWE freshers singing at the top of their lungs at around 1am.

The half-cut choir screeched “I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing” to each other while they waited for the Mendip Court lift to get up and running.

One of the trapped girls, Ellie, said:

“We were trying to lift up the mood by singing, calm everyone down, make a good situation out of a bad one.

“We were stuck in there for an hour in total. We chose Aerosmith because it’s a song everyone knows, – at one point we were singing Kumbaya.

They took turns to sit on the floor

“We were singing for twenty minutes to half an hour, just trying to keep things calm. The singing helped – one of the girls didn’t properly calm down until we were out but the singing helped.”

The group of mates were heading for a night out when the lift broke down:

“We weren’t aware there were nine people even thought there’s only meant to be eight, and we were half way down and it just stopped.

“We went into a panic, one of the girls started hyperventilating because she was claustrophobic, and another one of the girls freaked out because she was worried about the lack of air.

The group can laugh about it now

And there wasn’t even enough space for them all to relax:

“It was so hot in there and we were sweating. We were all taking turns to sit down because it was a lot cooler at the bottom.

“About two minutes after we got out the lift one of the guys was sick everywhere from drink. Thank god we got out.

And they’re not the first victims of Mendip Court’s dodgy elevators, with many first years being stuck inside over the past few weeks.

But while they can laugh about it now, Ellie and her mates have decided to avoid the lift for the time being:

“We live on the top floor of a seventh story block but I think for a while a lot of us will be taking the stairs.”