What’s not to love about The London Borough of Waltham-Forest?

It’s seriously underrated

The huge size of London often means that places like Walthamstow – that are actually pretty great – get completely overlooked. They’re overshadowed by tourist spots like Camden, Shoreditch and Soho, but that’s also one of the things that makes it so great.

It’s overlooked, but it’s got a lot of history

E17 was brought into the pop charts in 1992 by three local school boys who made the postcode of our little town known by the name of Walthamstow a big deal, on a global scale.

If you’re into motors and vehicles then you’ll be interested to know that Frederick Bremer built the first motor-car in London, in his shop on Connaught Road in Walthamstow where he lived. You can see it in the Vestry house Museum. He now also has a secondary school named after him.

If  you’re into film, Alfred Hitchcock a very well know name renowned for his thrillers and his changing of the dynamics of what is appropriate for cinema screens, was born in Waltham-Forest. Leytonstone to be exact and as a child he would enjoy travelling through Walthamstow on the transport.

Lethal Bizzle was from here

Every club plays his songs, and we’ll never get tired of it. Our very own Lethal B, came from an area called Boundary in Walthamstow.

The sound is Hip-Hop/Grime, Grime is a prominent genre of music from the East side of London.

An image shot by myself of the illuminated Walthamstow Dog’s Stadium: @_serenacecilia

What makes Walthamstow stand out?

The Walthamstow Dog Stadium a major landmark of Walthamstow and Waltham-Forest is a unique landmark which is known for it’s grey hound racing days.

We maintain the longest street market in Europe from Monday to Friday, this extends down the entire high street with over 200 stalls.
There is also a ‘Walthamstow Village’ which is a time capsule within Walthamstow which has houses dating from the 16th and 18th Centuries. There you will also find one 15th century, timber-framed hall house.

Not far from the village you find Whipps Cross Hospital, known for making the news for being a ‘failure’ at the service that it’s meant to provide. But it’s our hospital and we are thankful that it is there anyway.

Dreamers

Overall Walthamstow is a town full of people from different cultures and backgrounds with dreams and aspirations which they try to attain each and every day. We are just like any other town within a big city, we are striving for success.