Reclaim The Night protesters march through Brighton

The event was held to address rape culture

On November 25th at around 6pm, a large number of protesters gathered outside Brighton Station to begin their march through Brighton.

The protesters were rallying together under the ‘Reclaim The Night’ event whose aim was to give women the chance to let their voices be heard and to reclaim the streets in on a “safe and empowering event” according to their website.

Reclaim The Night has had events all around the country with the biggest being in London on November 19th.

Police attended the event to help with traffic and making sure everything ran smoothly and safely.

Marches began down North Street and all the way down to the seafront. The group travelled and stopped at Old Steine to rally in chant and to listen to guest speakers. The group continued its route through Brighton afterwards.

Among the group was a male steward who spoke to The Tab Sussex, he said:

“I was assaulted 17 years ago on the streets and have since been dealing with mental health issues. I consider myself one of the lucky ones as I have gotten out of the rut I put myself in, however this is not the case for everyone”

“This event addresses issues that affect all sexes and should not be exclusive of anyone”

The steward continued on to say that he was very impressed with the turnout and has spoken to many people on the streets to inform them what the protest was all about.

Speaking to some onlookers, one female retail worker told us she was unaware of what the protest was about. After revealing what the protest was in aid of, she informed us that she was writing her dissertation on it and believed it was a good cause.

Another onlooker was also quizzed about the protest. He said that it was against sexual violence and the protest was called “women for women”.

In a recent report published by The Tab, 96 per cent of female students said they have been groped on a night out.

The event also was in aid to raise money for the local Rape Crisis Centre, Survivors’ Network.

The march ended at the Synergy Centre where music performances and presentations were held.