The Duke of Edinburgh to carry out the official opening of Brighton i360

He will also take a trip in the viewing pod

On Friday Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, is carrying out the official opening of Brighton’s new eye-catcher on the seafront, the British Airways i360.

The 95-year-old Prince is not only going to meet the team behind the 530ft high vertical cable car, but will also take a trip in the i360, enjoying the breath taking view over the Downs, the coastline as well as the town.

Buckingham Palace stated: “The Duke of Edinburgh has a special interest in design and engineering and is officially involved with over 25 engineering institutions worldwide, including the Royal Academy of Engineers and the Institution of Structural Engineering.”

The i360, designed by the architects of the London Eye, is Brighton’s newest attraction on the seafront and everyone who has worked on the project is extremely proud to welcome His Royal Highness to Brighton.

David Marks, chairman of the British Airways i360, said: “We are very proud of the design and engineering that have been achieved at British Airways i360 and look forward to showcasing this new landmark to His Royal Highness.”

Due to Prince Philip’s royal visit on Friday, the i360 will only offer public flights on after 3pm.