Sweets, treats, and snacks: Falmer food market 101

I ate my body weight in guacamole

Nothing gets my blood pumping quite like a food market. If you’re like me and live off campus, you may not be familiar with the goldmine that is the Falmer food market. Every Tuesday, Falmer Square comes alive with a variety of food stalls offering foods around the world from Brazil to Greece, alongside a pop-up grocery store (I’m talking £1.50 for a basket full of avocados). I decided to follow the sweet smells of sizzling burritos and see what the market had to offer.

Artemis Olive

The owner is one of the sweetest guys you’ll ever meet – a man on a mission to replace your packet of ready salted crisps with the exotic tastes of Eurasia. Resembling that of a tropical deli, Artemis Olive boasts a huge variety of fresh both sweet and savoury snacks from around the globe.

I had to fight the urge to submerge my face in the Turkish delight

Need to fill that Turkish delight-shaped hole in your heart? Artemis Olive is the place to go. Need a baklava in your life even though you’ve never heard of one before? Say no more. I mean, where else on campus would you find nine different types of olive?

The Forgotten Cuts Co.

It’s evident why this gluten-free pop-up is a Sussex Street Food of the Year 2016 finalist, with its array of hearty and healthy foods on offer. The strong ethical views of the company ensure all meat is sourced locally and of the highest quality, making every last bite of rose veal taste phenomenal while also keeping your conscience clean.

Fair enough

Us veggies don’t miss out either, alongside colourful sides such as courgetti and a lentil-quinoa megamix, The Forgotten Cuts also offers a delicious slow-cooked aubergine tagine-like dish that really hits the spot – real slow roasted awesomeness.

Crocus Paella

You can smell this stall from a mile off, pure heaven. Despite having no vegetarian option, the Brighton-born stall seemed particularly popular, especially at 11.30am (we were informed they start cooking the paellas at 9am to be ready for the day).

Shut up and take my money

The Spanish dish is served piping hot straight from the pan, offering a chicken or seafood variant.

The Dead Good Burrito Co.

Voted the Best Burritos in Brighton by The Brighton and Hove Independent, these guys offer more than just your box standard burrito – I’m talking flavours such as smokey black bean, chipotle chicken, and carnitas pork amongst the authentically Mexican menu.

Lord give me strength

The burritos themselves are ridiculously packed and are topped with a variety of salsas and guacamole (all lovingly home made by Dead Good Burrito of course) to bump up the texture.

Ollie’s Wrap Shack

By far my favourite stall in the market, without being too biased. You choose from halloumi or home-made chickpea fritters to feature in a toasted flatbread packed with fresh veg and the most delicious hummus I’ve ever had the pleasure of consuming. Not convinced? Consult the pictures.

My boy Ollie doing his thang

This is a man on a mission to provide healthy food to hungry students and he’s doing a damn good job of it.

If that isn’t one satisfied customer I don’t know what is