Massive campus extension project finally approved

Northfield will no longer be the new blocks on the block

Sussex uni top brass have finally gained permission to go ahead with a new campus masterplan after a series of delays.

The new building work will include an extension to the library, new sports facilities and increased student accommodation.

Sussex aims to expand student numbers by a third, meaning 60,000 feet of the Downs will be built on to accommodate the growth of the university.

The masterplan will take around a decade to be finished

Although it’s pretty obvious a rise in student numbers to 18,000 calls for an expansion of the current campus layout, reactions to the plans have been mixed.

Resident groups have slammed the plans, arguing local residents were not given a say in the plans and the downsides they could bring. Outspoken ex-communications officer Michael Segalov is also not too keen on the plans.

He said: “The Masterplan has still not been approved by the local authorities, and to a great extent it’s not been approved by students and staff at Sussex.

“Residents of Brighton will be very disappointed at this decision and our local democratic rights have been ignored by the University of Sussex by railroading this application through against our wishes.”

Artist’s impression, presumably missing a few thousand students

On the other hand, uni big-wig John Duffy believes the plan will contribute £500 million to the local economy within 3 years, and will not spoil the current design of the campus, which was the brainchild of Sir Basil Spence.

He said: “The careful development of our Falmer campus will allow us to provide a better education and experience for our students, while delivering substantial investment and more jobs in Sussex and the wider region.”

The plans were initially rejected in July last year, but the rejection was overturned on July 31st. For now, at least, East Slope still stands and Northfield is still the new block on the block, but this is all set to change. The project is said to be in the ‘early’ stages, and will take around a decade to fully complete.