What percentage of your uni suffers from depression?

‘Studying itself can be demanding and deadlines can cause a lot of anxiety’

A third of university students suffer from depression, according to stats from our mental health survey.

Just under 4,000 responses having admitted to suffering from the illness – this made up 33 per cent of the total 10,500 respondents.

The University of Northumbria are the least afflicted with 30 per cent of all respondents having experienced depression whereas the University of East Anglia are the most afflicted with 51 per cent having suffered.

[infogram id=”percentage_of_depression_sufferers_at_each_uni”]

The Tab’s mental health survey had 12,000 respondents. Over 5,000 said they had suffered a mental health illness, which is the total these stats are based on. The results should be taken with a pinch of salt, but they show some interesting results.

Stephen Buckley, Head of Information for mental health charity Mind, said: “University life also poses a series of other challenges, not least the fact that people are expecting you to inhabit the role and responsibilities of an adult, yet you may well have left behind you all the social and organisational structures that you relied on for support. Separating from parents and beginning to find your identity as an adult can be challenging. It may be the first time you need to budget, practise housekeeping, and find your way around a new place which can be stressful. Studying itself can be demanding and deadlines can cause a lot of anxiety.

“There are, however, lots of forms of support available for students. Mind recently launched ‘Emoodji’, a mobile app designed to give students a way of coping with their feelings and emotional wellbeing whilst at university. The app provides tips on how to cope with the most challenging aspects of student life, including money problems, exam stress, homesickness and low mood. ”