They must be board: Monopoly creators consider Stirling edition

Will Stirling Pass Go?

monopoly stirling university wallace monument

Stirling is in the running to have its very own version of monopoly made as part of the 80th anniversary celebrations of the famous board game.

Ayr, Falkirk, Motherwell, Perth and St Andrews are the other towns hoping to be turned into a special edition, but only one will be chosen.

Scottish area executive of Winning Moves UK said: “Each one is a very strong contender. The factors that will decide are two-fold: firstly – and crucially – the strength of popular feeling and pride for a particular city or town; secondly, the diversity and beauty of potential landmarks to fill the board.

“So it’s in effect a beauty contest – to borrow a famous Monopoly phrase. The only difference is there is no prize for coming second, just first.”

Stirling certainly has plenty of iconic landmarks to fill up the 22 spaces on the board, Stirling Castle and the Wallace monument surely contenders for the prestigious Mayfair slot.

At the other end of the board the Raploch can always take the place of Old Kent Road, somewhere has to at the end of the day.

Voting for a winner ended on the 28th of February so time will tell if Murray Place and the Thistle centre will be making their way onto the board in time for Christmas.