Men at work takeover campus

Benjamin Anderson weighs in on what it’s like to live in the construction site of Stirling Campus

construction new accommodation stirling campus

One thing that has made living on campus unbearable this year, and will do so for the next couple of years to come, is the construction site next door to you. You’re sitting down at your desk, you have a 2000 word essay due in, not to mention the added pressure of having to join your mates going out to Dusk.

But you can’t think as you put up with the construction site you live on. Day and night, workmen interrupt you as they go about their business to try to get the new accommodation up and running for the next year.

Still months of noise from completion

All kinds of vehicles are pulling in and out past your windows from 9 am to god knows what time! The sound of sirens and beeping as the vehicles perpetually reverse grates on you all day. Men are pissing about as they give the driver directions and the sound of digger engines revving up just ticks you off. All this before they even start the ear piercing process of cutting metal to size.

This is a university supposedly renowned for having a campus of ‘outstanding beauty’; perhaps the university should think again before saying this. Shit is left scattered all over the shop and the semi-finished building is fenced off, looking over the rubble of the last building to be knocked down. The last thing you want when procrastinating is to stare out at that. Not the most relaxing.

Do they have to park these blocking the entire road?

When you suddenly realise that you’re living in the middle of a building site, it really does seem shit. But, then again, the benefits you get from living on campus are unreal compared to living in a shit tip in town and the rubbish that comes with it. I suppose when you think about all of that, you realise that living with construction around isn’t that bad. Just damn loud.