Everyone you’ll meet in the St Andrews bubble

Do you know a posh boy? Do you know a frat bro?

Within the thousands of students, trends emerge to give us our very own list of stereotypes. Sometimes elusive, and sometimes obvious, if you are attending St Andrews for any foreseeable time (or just so happen to be passing through) there’s a good chance you’ll meet some of these people. Or, more likely, you are one of these people:

The posh boys

You know those guys that used to run all of the societies at school? Posted pictures of Henry, Arthur, Oscar and the boys fine dining in some bespoke bistro in Central London? The boys in ‘the right crowd’? Yes, the chino wearing, “oh yah”, boys from fairly good private schools who applied to Oxbridge but probably didn’t make it. If you make it 10 minutes down South Street without seeing one of these lads I will personally give you what’s left of my student loan (not much of a giveaway really though).

American socialites looking for the next prince

Extremely friendly Hunter and Barbour wearing Americans who love to speak loudly and let the world know how often they holiday abroad in exotic locations like Barbados and Nice. Possibly Wannabe Brits. Can often be seen on the Old Course. Be careful British boys: they (and their mothers) are on the look out for the next Prince William.

Sports players covered in stash

“Did you know I play lax?” Or any other sport that is abbreviated to be cool, like ‘bball’. They wear their blue saints jackets everywhere so people know they play. Sometimes intercepted by imposters who buy the jacket to make you think they go to the gym. They don’t.

Champagne socialist fashionistas

Listens to the Spotify ‘Ultimate House’ soundtrack whilst trudging back from a 2AM night at the union. Went to a very nice school in Sussex but do not want you to know it by wearing edgy, alternative clothing from charity shops. Profile pictures must be taken at one of the following: Leeds, Reading, Glasto, Secret Garden Party – nothing else allowed.

Christian Union toast givers

Wholesome, friendly faces who serve you toasties on a Friday whilst also serving Jesus. Occasionally known, affectionately, as ‘God Squad’. Impossible not to like.

Third culture kids

Seen everywhere and anywhere. Went to 12 different international schools, speak three different languages and every time you speak to them their accent seems to have changed, but always remains faintly american.

People who say they’re ‘Londoners’ but live just outside of London so aren’t actually Londoners

They are actually from Kent or Surrey. They say this sometimes to be edgy, sometimes to save the hassle of saying the name ‘Woldingham’ 20 times. Often pictured fairly non-descript, so trying to stalk them on Facebook is really hard when you can’t make out their face. Is it because they’re so sad, or so cool?

Fashion show girls with excellent genes

Tall, beautiful, wear make-up at 9AM lectures. The inhuman FSG begin their prep routine nine months in advance to make sure they look their best. Oh, and they put their cover photos up three months in advance to make sure you know they model.

Fraternity Boys

Somehow a piece of America has infiltrated St Andrews. Trying to bring the craze of college partying to the middle of Fife, and being vaguely successful. Nights usually end with cute group  Instagram photos on the ‘Frat’ account. Only boys allowed. But they raise loads of money for charity and hold events throughout the year: so we love having them here

The Scots, because we do have some Scots

The elusive breed of native peoples who you may see on a night out. Usually greeted with the line: “Really you’re from Scotland? You’re the first one I’ve met here!”