Library relationships are the only good thing about exam week

What happens when your library boyfriend finishes his exams?

A library relationship is more than a library crush, and the fantasy that you build up about the hottie who always sits on the same floor as you is the only thing that keeps you ironically sane during exam time.

My library boyfriend and I first ‘met’, as these library relationships tend to, in the library. And when I say we met, I mean we locked eyes for all of two seconds after I slammed my book bag down on the desk next to him.

For the next two weeks, we saw each other every day. Spending hours on end in each other’s company, well, along with another 750 people anyway.

I’m even willing to forgive the wife beater vest

Then out of the blue, he ghosted me. But… we had a connection?!

We had so much in common: I study history and I think he does too, I wore the same jumper three days running and he did too! Maybe we weren’t meant to be, or maybe he just finished all his exams.

We are all guilty of these fantasies: its no coincidence that the St Andrews Crushes Facebook page was revitalised during revision week.

Yes

Is this just a St Andrews thing? Do other students at other unis create fantasy relationships?

Are we so obsessed with relationships and matchmaking that even during revision week, void of Sinners and balls, we distract ourselves with the thought of a love match?

We may not all be lurking in the stairwell waiting to spot a hottie and then following them to their seat, but if anecdotal evidence is anything to go by, some of you out there definitely do this.

It’s fairly easy to see how these relationships start inadvertently. It gets dark at 3pm and your social life has taken a massive dive.

Chances are, you’re a bit lonely and very stressed. Then there’s the library itself, its sexy sharp angles and exposed breezeblocks create such a romantic atmosphere of claustrophobia.

We all tend to have favourite areas to sit in this love shack, returning to them daily. Then when you’re bored, you look up and around and there they are, probably staring at their phone or having a good Facebook stalk… you have so much in common.

Then you find yourself actively looking for that one person when you’re choosing your seat, strategically picking a spot to be in their eye line.

By the end of revision week you’ve decided on the baby names and concluded that a wedding in St Salvator’s chapel would be lovely in June and that maybe you should look into booking now…

Now it’s nearing the end of exam week and we are heading home for Christmas, leaving our fantasy lovers and related daydreams in the increasingly emptying library.

At least we can get over our imaginary break ups by over eating turkey and Christmas pudding at home.

As for you curly, dark haired, navy jumper wearing guy… I can forgive you for ghosting me, perhaps we might rekindle our love next semester, say May time?