Children of Rwanda Launch Brunch

​Following a weekend of polo, Under Canvas, and end-of-deadlines celebrations, an early afternoon meal of Bloody Marys and bagels was a welcome offering. For a donation of five pounds, the […]

​Following a weekend of polo, Under Canvas, and end-of-deadlines celebrations, an early afternoon meal of Bloody Marys and bagels was a welcome offering. For a donation of five pounds, the Children of Rwanda provided a hangover-curing brunch as their launch event this past Sunday. With the St Andrews branch of the charity forming only this past year, the new organisation sought to promote their name and explain their purpose, in addition to raising money for their cause: each five pounds funded three days of school for one of the children they support.

​Children of Rwanda was founded by University of Dundee student Robbie MacMillan with the goal of providing financial aid for as many impoverished Rwandan children as possible. Currently, they support 109 children, poor villagers who lack access to food, clothes, and education. Rather than sending the money to the families and risking it being lost or misused, CoR pays the schools directly, ensuring that the children receive the benefits they are promised. This lack of a middleman separates CoR from many other local organisations; a donation to them is a donation directly to charity, with the bank accounts in both the UK and Rwanda being controlled by the committee.

​The brunch itself, taking place in the Vic, successfully accomplished its aims of advertising CoR’s appearance in the St Andrews community. The intimate space allowed the committee members to mingle with guests and provide explanations of the charity’s history and goals, amidst an ample buffet featuring a wide assortment of breakfast foods. The afternoon culminated in a raffle, with tickets being priced at a reasonable one pound each, that saw guests leave with boxes of chocolates, vouchers to Forgans, and a bottle of wine, amongst other prizes. After this quiet start, Children of Rwanda plans on continuing to establish itself within St Andrews next semester, with every donation allowing them to take on more children and continue to make an impact in the lives of Rwandan families.

​Like them on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/childrenofrwanda?fr) or visit their website (http://www.childrenofrwanda.org/) for further information.