Music Editor

A few notes from our graduating Music Editor Anna: “As the first ever music editor of The Stand, I’ve enjoyed developing our small but burgeoning section with our small team […]

A few notes from our graduating Music Editor Anna:

“As the first ever music editor of The Stand, I’ve enjoyed developing our small but burgeoning section with our small team of very talented writers. I can’t wait to see how it grows over the next year!”

• As the music editor you will be required to manage and motivate a small team of dedicated writers.
  • You need to be creative with your content; whether that be keeping a weekly feature fresh and entertaining or helping your team come up with new and imaginitive ideas for one-off pieces, all the time with the St Andrews reader in mind.
  • You also need to be open to all kinds of music- not everyone will have the same taste as you! Being critical is also part of the job.
  • Sometimes you have to be tough with your editing in order to keep up the overall quality of The Stand and you also have to make sure your writers can be tough. If they’re reviewing a new album and they don’t like it, make sure they say so.
  • Be prepared to dedicate a fair bit of time to keep everything ticking over smoothly. Don’t worry, it’s worth it!

How to apply:

Applications should be sent to [email protected] by Friday 24th May at 5pm.

Please include in your application:

• What your year of study will be for 2013/2014
  • A cover letter telling us why you want to work for The Stand, why you’re qualified for the job, and any relevant experience you’ve had
  • Any new ideas you would bring with you to The Stand
  • Any other activities/time commitments you may have
  • Anything else you think we ought to see/know about you (e.g. writing samples, baby pictures, life stories, etc.)

If you’d like to be involved with The Stand but don’t want to commit to an official position, please click our ‘Send Us a Story’ button up top and send us something you’ve written, or email one of our section editors and get involved! 

If you have any other questions about the application process, please send them to Lauren (lh467) or Dani (dg53) or email the relevant section editor.