Amazing Grace: 2012 Dunhill Links Championship

By on

South Africa’s Branden Grace, one of the brightest young talents in golf, led from start to finish to celebrate his most impressive victory of the year, winning the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship by two shots, from Denmark’s Thorbjorn Olesen.

From the moment he signed his card after a spectacular first round 60 at Kingsbarns on Thursday, Grace, one of the best front-runners in golf, was a hot favourite to win. After shooting a final round 70 for a 22-under-par total of 266, Grace now joins some of the greatest names in golf – Sir Nick Faldo, Lee Westwood and Tiger Woods among them – who have won four European Tour events in the same season. At 24 years and 140 days old, he becomes the youngest winner in Alfred Dunhill Links Championship history. His victory and the US$800,000 first prize takes him to third in the Race to Dubai, the European Tour’s order of merit. (And all at only a couple of years older than us… Oh dear.)

Although he had one or two wobblies in his final round on the Old Course, Grace thoroughly deserved his victory. On accepting his win, he said, “I think whether you win as a junior or amateur or pro, just winning at St Andrews, the Home of Golf is special.  This morning I was just going on the Internet and I looked at a couple of pictures of Louis Oosthuizen winning The Open here and what he looked like holding the trophy and I thought that would just make the day. I actually stayed with Louis this week. He invited me to stay with him and his family, so that’s been pretty awesome… Winning at St Andrews is a dream come true.” Amen to that.

Headline image ©Getty Images

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Mermaids’ Christmas Ball Reviewed

Amidst all the gowns of St Andrews, students finally got a taste of Hogwarts at this year’s Christmas Ball.

By on

How to feel festive during exam season

There is still hope

By on

Top things to do this week

Revision week doesn’t have to be stressful

By , Chief Reporter on

Confessions: What was your worst Tinder date?

‘He told me he had slept with my ex a few weeks earlier so it was literally a date from hell’

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s more important: Face or body?

Pretty face, average bod > average face, fit bod

By and on

What is the best all-girls school in the country?

‘Millie can I borrow a tampon?’

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life