Union U-turn: NUS referendum postponed

At an emergency meeting this evening, both the Student Representative Council (SRC) and the Student Services Committee (SSC) voted to postpone the May NUS referendum until November 2012. This comes only weeks after both committees, on the recommendation of the current sabbaticals, voted to approve a May vote.

This backtracking appears to be the result of an emergency meeting by the Students Association Board (the governing body of the Association), in which the Board was reported to have expressed its extreme displeasure over the rushed nature of the referendum and the inadequate assessment of the financial impact of NUS membership. In addition, The Stand has been told that the incoming sabbs unanimously agreed that a rushed May referendum would not have allowed for a free and fair vote.

The Stand spoke to ‘devastatingly good-looking philistine’ and 3rd year, Maureen MacIsaac, “it is a travesty that we, the students of St Andrews, have waited this long to get the NUS student discount on asos.com clothes, and now must still our itchy mouse-tapping fingers even a second longer.”

Tonight’s meeting heard some criticisms leveled at the newly elected sabbs for their role in the postponement. However, new and old sabbs argued that the change in timing was needed to avoid clashing with exam revision and for a fair referendum to be had.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Chief Reporter

St Andrews is the best in the UK for Philosophy, Politics and Physics

Tell us something we don’t know

FS raises £30,000 for charity

They auctioned a dinner date with a model and tickets for exclusive access at Milan Fashion Week

May Ball: the gowns, the bows and the ugly

everyone looked nice 👍

, Assistant Editor

Music festivals on terror alert

Nightclubs and festivals are both at risk of Isis suicide attacks

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’

, TabTv producer, The Tab Trent

How to be single

There’s an art to it