To baldly go: Med student shaves head for cancer charity

For most students, having a haircut involves doing a Duchess of Cambridge and booking an appointment at Sophie Butler, or nipping into the barber’s shop on South St where they promise a dram of whisky with every trim. Not so for 2nd year Ruaridh Maxwell, who will shave his head for St Andrews-based cancer research charity AICR (THE Association for International Cancer Research) on Friday 20th April.

Ruaridh was first inspired to shave his shoulder-length blonde locks when he was cast as evil King Gama in the University of St Andrews Gilbert and Sullivan Society production of Princess Ida for the On The Rocks festival, and decided that this was an excellent possibility to do his bit for such an important charity. Says Ruaridh:

“As a student of the medical faculty, I am all too aware of the importance of research into all types of cancer, and the fact that AICR has its headquarters in St Andrews makes it extra special. My hair has always been something of a trademark, particularly within the G&S Society, and when I was cast in Princess Ida the two ideas seemed to come together nicely!”

The head-shaving will take place at 12pm in the main bar of the Union on Friday 20th April, where there will be numerous opportunities to donate to such a worthy cause. Those unable to attend can do so online and the end results can be seen at the G&S Society’s performances of Princess Ida at the Byre Theatre on Saturday 21st April, at 2:30pm and 7pm.

• http://youtube.com/lilmagicmanjws Lilmagicmanjws

This article is a load of shit. I’ve seen similar articles to this. People just want to bad mouth areas for clicks. Croydon is a town that’s suffering but so is the majority of other towns in the rest of the bloody country. There are more poor people than there are rich, what do you expect? Croydon and its people are an example of a socio-economic crisis. The fact is there are people who are making movements, doing good and bettering the community. By spouting shit and negativity, you are not helping. Shit article. Shit site. Shit author. Croydon is by no means “the worst hometown in the uk”.

Heard something newsworthy?

I am a self-confessed tech addict

But I won’t give it up for lent

Everything you should do before leaving the Bubble

Have you been shat on by a seagull yet?

What your halls say about you

The words ‘Albany Park’ are practically taboo

and and

The things going to Catholic school taught me about life

Mass is where all the sexual tension is played out

, Contributing Editor

Bankers who wear red ties are making the ultimate tacky statement

They are Donald Trumps of the financial world

, Chief Reporter

We asked a load of guys called Pablo what their lives are really like

One of them hadn’t even heard of Kanye West

, Contributing Editor

Science says there are four kinds of couple

No, one of them isn’t the ‘really irritating’ couple

, Chief Reporter

The worst thing about turning 26 is a myth – you still get a railcard

Cheap trains are still an option