Rectorial installations revealed

The first Rectorial Drag in three years has been announced for Monday 19th March. The ceremony will start in Sallie’s Quad at 12pm, embracing 150 years of St Andrean tradition with students running around in their gowns like excited wizards from Hogwarts. Alastair Moffat, the new Rector will be ‘dragged’, or something to that effect, around ‘various places in St Andrews’. You might see him riding a pig, giving out Janetta’s ice cream from his vintage ice-cream bike or something similar. This so-called mysterious transport is used to inaugurate a new Rector, a pretty hilarious and very unique sight. Oh, St Andrews, you are so strange…

The second event is a little more romantic… Some might even even say spiritual. The Torch-lit Procession will head out that evening, starting again in the Quad at 7pm. Don your gown, light your torch and meander down past the cathedral to the end of the pier. Only 50 tickets for this one – and they’re all gone (soz). But you can always head down with your camera (and gown) and enjoy the atmosphere.

Next, the induction event at Younger Hall on Tuesday 20th: listen to Alistair Moffat himself deliver a speech about his new position as Rector, along with a member of the University Court and the President of the Student’s Association, from 4-5pm. (Gown recommended. I think we can safely say this is one of those times when you should just always wear your gown. Get your money’s worth anyway).

Finally, come and see the Rector party-on-down at The Byre that night. This formal event will round off our inaugural celebration of Alistair Moffat’s term with free drinks, live music and lots of dancing (I bet he’s good).

All events are free but have limited numbers of tickets so click on any of the above links to grab yours!

Images © Johnston Montgomery and Supplier

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

May Ball: the gowns, the bows and the ugly

everyone looked nice 👍

Guests have a ball at May Ball!

The KKC kills it yet again! Great job!

St Andrews is toughest business school to get into

I guess some students are pretty clever after all.

, Assistant Editor

Snapchatting your trip to the polling station is silly, self-absorbed and insignificant

It’s a day about something bigger, and you somehow managed to make it about yourself

, Argument Editor

‘What’s the weather like up there?’ and other things tall people are fed up of hearing

You’re right actually, it is starting to rain

, Soton Opinion Editor of The Tab

Stop saying Kent is ‘racist’

There is something more complicated at play

, Assistant Editor

The Midlands is a place, don’t tell me I live in the North (or South)

Ever heard of Stratford-upon-Avon?

, Durham Editor

I went on the pill to treat my acne and it almost killed me

Madison will be on blood thinning medication for the rest of her life

, Assistant Editor

Stop saying you’ll give up things you have no interest in quitting

‘This is the last time I’m drinking, ever’