Rectorial installations revealed

The first Rectorial Drag in three years has been announced for Monday 19th March. The ceremony will start in Sallie’s Quad at 12pm, embracing 150 years of St Andrean tradition with students running around in their gowns like excited wizards from Hogwarts. Alastair Moffat, the new Rector will be ‘dragged’, or something to that effect, around ‘various places in St Andrews’. You might see him riding a pig, giving out Janetta’s ice cream from his vintage ice-cream bike or something similar. This so-called mysterious transport is used to inaugurate a new Rector, a pretty hilarious and very unique sight. Oh, St Andrews, you are so strange…

The second event is a little more romantic… Some might even even say spiritual. The Torch-lit Procession will head out that evening, starting again in the Quad at 7pm. Don your gown, light your torch and meander down past the cathedral to the end of the pier. Only 50 tickets for this one – and they’re all gone (soz). But you can always head down with your camera (and gown) and enjoy the atmosphere.

Next, the induction event at Younger Hall on Tuesday 20th: listen to Alistair Moffat himself deliver a speech about his new position as Rector, along with a member of the University Court and the President of the Student’s Association, from 4-5pm. (Gown recommended. I think we can safely say this is one of those times when you should just always wear your gown. Get your money’s worth anyway).

Finally, come and see the Rector party-on-down at The Byre that night. This formal event will round off our inaugural celebration of Alistair Moffat’s term with free drinks, live music and lots of dancing (I bet he’s good).

All events are free but have limited numbers of tickets so click on any of the above links to grab yours!

Images © Johnston Montgomery and Supplier

Heard something newsworthy?

, The Stand Editor of The Tab

The Ultimate Guide to Drink Prices in St Andrews

Vic, Union, Ma Bells, and Lizard: it’s finally time to find out which is cheapest

I am a self-confessed tech addict

But I won’t give it up for lent

, Executive Editor

Now the NUS is making our whole generation look bad

Peter Tatchell. PETER TATCHELL.

, Deputy Editor

A stag do in Magaluf dressed up like Adam Johnson and a group of schoolgirls

Apparently they’re ‘Maga Legends’

Where you should be going on holiday this year

It’s booking season – and Dirty Mike wants to go to Albania

, Head of Talent

Forget Galentine’s, I went on a date to The Shard on my own

‘I can’t offer you company, but I can offer you some reading materials’

, Features Editor

What your first year in London teaches you about life

Everything is gonna change forever

, Head of Talent

Finally, experts agree going braless is better for you

Free those nipples