Rectorial installations revealed

by , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

The first Rectorial Drag in three years has been announced for Monday 19th March. The ceremony will start in Sallie’s Quad at 12pm, embracing 150 years of St Andrean tradition with students running around in their gowns like excited wizards from Hogwarts. Alastair Moffat, the new Rector will be ‘dragged’, or something to that effect, around ‘various places in St Andrews’. You might see him riding a pig, giving out Janetta’s ice cream from his vintage ice-cream bike or something similar. This so-called mysterious transport is used to inaugurate a new Rector, a pretty hilarious and very unique sight. Oh, St Andrews, you are so strange…

The second event is a little more romantic… Some might even even say spiritual. The Torch-lit Procession will head out that evening, starting again in the Quad at 7pm. Don your gown, light your torch and meander down past the cathedral to the end of the pier. Only 50 tickets for this one – and they’re all gone (soz). But you can always head down with your camera (and gown) and enjoy the atmosphere.

Next, the induction event at Younger Hall on Tuesday 20th: listen to Alistair Moffat himself deliver a speech about his new position as Rector, along with a member of the University Court and the President of the Student’s Association, from 4-5pm. (Gown recommended. I think we can safely say this is one of those times when you should just always wear your gown. Get your money’s worth anyway).

Finally, come and see the Rector party-on-down at The Byre that night. This formal event will round off our inaugural celebration of Alistair Moffat’s term with free drinks, live music and lots of dancing (I bet he’s good).

All events are free but have limited numbers of tickets so click on any of the above links to grab yours!

Images © Johnston Montgomery and Supplier

Facebook Twitter
  • Jon

Straight from the top-drawer of journalism

• Kate

wow, this really is scraping the barrel

The Tab is a network of 60 university news sites with thousands of student reporters

By on

A reply to the Edinburgh Tab

It’s time to recognise the Edinburgh tab’s St Andrews article for what it really is – lacking in research.

by , The Stand Editor of The Tab on

Welcome to the Next Level

Champar’s first official event, Shine Bright Like a Belle, will be held this Friday in the Society Room of Ma Bells.

by on

5 Things to Do This Week

The Stand gives you the low-down of the best events of the upcoming week.