Rectorial installations revealed

By on

The first Rectorial Drag in three years has been announced for Monday 19th March. The ceremony will start in Sallie’s Quad at 12pm, embracing 150 years of St Andrean tradition with students running around in their gowns like excited wizards from Hogwarts. Alastair Moffat, the new Rector will be ‘dragged’, or something to that effect, around ‘various places in St Andrews’. You might see him riding a pig, giving out Janetta’s ice cream from his vintage ice-cream bike or something similar. This so-called mysterious transport is used to inaugurate a new Rector, a pretty hilarious and very unique sight. Oh, St Andrews, you are so strange…

The second event is a little more romantic… Some might even even say spiritual. The Torch-lit Procession will head out that evening, starting again in the Quad at 7pm. Don your gown, light your torch and meander down past the cathedral to the end of the pier. Only 50 tickets for this one – and they’re all gone (soz). But you can always head down with your camera (and gown) and enjoy the atmosphere.

Next, the induction event at Younger Hall on Tuesday 20th: listen to Alistair Moffat himself deliver a speech about his new position as Rector, along with a member of the University Court and the President of the Student’s Association, from 4-5pm. (Gown recommended. I think we can safely say this is one of those times when you should just always wear your gown. Get your money’s worth anyway).

Finally, come and see the Rector party-on-down at The Byre that night. This formal event will round off our inaugural celebration of Alistair Moffat’s term with free drinks, live music and lots of dancing (I bet he’s good).

All events are free but have limited numbers of tickets so click on any of the above links to grab yours!

Images © Johnston Montgomery and Supplier

• Jon

Straight from the top-drawer of journalism

• Kate

wow, this really is scraping the barrel

Heard something newsworthy?

By , The Stand Editor of The Tab on

The Other Guys hit all the right notes

happy early christmas to st andrews girls

By , The Stand Editor of The Tab on

The Other Guys are having a Christmas concert

Celebrate the end of classes with a cappella

By on

We went on the hunt for coke in St Andrews

Ma Bells sinks, really?

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness