Look of the Week: Prints Charming

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

As the days get shorter and the weather gets colder, the best way to brighten up your look this week is to wear prints. When Kate Bosworth stepped out at the launch party for Burberry’s new fragrance several weeks ago, she cheered up the dreary Autumn weather with her printed Burberry Prorsum dress proving that bright prints don’t have to be reserved just for the summer months.

With designers showcasing a variety of different patterns on the runway, it could be easy to get lost in a blur of colour with so many intricate prints to choose from. However, fear not, as listed here are the best patterns to take your winter wardrobe from drab to fab.

Animal prints – These are a sure-fire way to heat up your look. With leopard and dalmatian prints most on-trend this season, and the best way to inject them into your look is through one statement piece (you want to avoid looking like Cruella de Vil). Take inspiration from Rachel Bilson and try a leopard print shirt paired with jeans, or a dalmatian print boot or clutch bag as seen on the runway for Topshop Unique to inject the trend into your look subtly; full animal print from head to toe should be reserved for Bongo Ball.

Stars – Ever since Dolce & Gabanna sent models down the catwalk in Milan in star-printed dresses the print has become a popular micro-trend which you should get your hands on quick. Try a fitted midi dress like Anne Hathaway in her Marie Claire spread – Zara has a long star-printed tunic to give you the look for less – or snap up a chiffon pussy-bow blouse from Lipsy to replicate the style seen on the runway. The best steal on the High Street is ASOS’ own belted star-print chiffon dress at £45, perfect for your next night out.

Winter Florals – Floral prints are now not just for summer. Set against darker hues, they dominated the catwalks at Erdem, Mary Katrantzou and Paul Smith, and look particularly elegant on silk fabric. With Pippa Middleton leading the way with a Project D full-length floral gown worn to a charity event, take inspiration from her and browse Oasis’ beautiful range of shorter-length floral shift dresses, such as their Fleurie dress, which is perfect for dinner parties coming up during the festive period.  

Stripes – If a classic look is more your thing you’re in luck: stripes never go out of fashion. Make like Olivia Palermo and pair a classic Breton top with a leather skirt to add a bit of edge. Steer clear of anything too bright, choosing tops in neutral colours with thin black or navy stripes will keep your look timeless. Alternatively, why not try mixing it up a little with loose tops with gold or silver stripes, a look you can instantly take from day to night.

Whatever print you choose, whether it’s a dazzling star-printed shirt or a Secret Garden-inspired floral dress, you are certain to add colour and a little bit of fun to your wardrobe on those cold and dull December days.

Photos © justjared.buzznet.com, dailymail.co.uk, fashion.telegraph.co.uk, www.instyle.co.uk

Facebook Twitter
Heard something on campus?

By on

St. Andrew’s favourite chippy ranks top 10 in UK

Fish are food, not friends

By on

Bodies, blind horses and bestiality rumours: A conversation with Equus

Provocative, brutal and bare (literally)

By on

A reply to the Edinburgh Tab

It’s time to recognise the Edinburgh tab’s St Andrews article for what it really is – lacking in research.

By , Features Editor on

Best person on Facebook this week

Netflix and chill is DEAD

By ,         on

VOTE: Who was the best dressed this week?

These people are killing it

By , Durham Editor of The Tab on

Durham Linguists are feckless posers who don’t know the meaning of a real degree

‘Ou est la gare?’

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Best clubbers of the week

You drink, we judge

By ,         on

Third years who found their housemate dead in his room are now being sued for unpaid rent

They were too traumatised to return