Look of the Week: Prints Charming

By on

As the days get shorter and the weather gets colder, the best way to brighten up your look this week is to wear prints. When Kate Bosworth stepped out at the launch party for Burberry’s new fragrance several weeks ago, she cheered up the dreary Autumn weather with her printed Burberry Prorsum dress proving that bright prints don’t have to be reserved just for the summer months.

With designers showcasing a variety of different patterns on the runway, it could be easy to get lost in a blur of colour with so many intricate prints to choose from. However, fear not, as listed here are the best patterns to take your winter wardrobe from drab to fab.

Animal prints – These are a sure-fire way to heat up your look. With leopard and dalmatian prints most on-trend this season, and the best way to inject them into your look is through one statement piece (you want to avoid looking like Cruella de Vil). Take inspiration from Rachel Bilson and try a leopard print shirt paired with jeans, or a dalmatian print boot or clutch bag as seen on the runway for Topshop Unique to inject the trend into your look subtly; full animal print from head to toe should be reserved for Bongo Ball.

Stars – Ever since Dolce & Gabanna sent models down the catwalk in Milan in star-printed dresses the print has become a popular micro-trend which you should get your hands on quick. Try a fitted midi dress like Anne Hathaway in her Marie Claire spread – Zara has a long star-printed tunic to give you the look for less – or snap up a chiffon pussy-bow blouse from Lipsy to replicate the style seen on the runway. The best steal on the High Street is ASOS’ own belted star-print chiffon dress at £45, perfect for your next night out.

Winter Florals – Floral prints are now not just for summer. Set against darker hues, they dominated the catwalks at Erdem, Mary Katrantzou and Paul Smith, and look particularly elegant on silk fabric. With Pippa Middleton leading the way with a Project D full-length floral gown worn to a charity event, take inspiration from her and browse Oasis’ beautiful range of shorter-length floral shift dresses, such as their Fleurie dress, which is perfect for dinner parties coming up during the festive period.  

Stripes – If a classic look is more your thing you’re in luck: stripes never go out of fashion. Make like Olivia Palermo and pair a classic Breton top with a leather skirt to add a bit of edge. Steer clear of anything too bright, choosing tops in neutral colours with thin black or navy stripes will keep your look timeless. Alternatively, why not try mixing it up a little with loose tops with gold or silver stripes, a look you can instantly take from day to night.

Whatever print you choose, whether it’s a dazzling star-printed shirt or a Secret Garden-inspired floral dress, you are certain to add colour and a little bit of fun to your wardrobe on those cold and dull December days.

Photos © justjared.buzznet.com, dailymail.co.uk, fashion.telegraph.co.uk, www.instyle.co.uk

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Mermaids’ Christmas Ball Reviewed

Amidst all the gowns of St Andrews, students finally got a taste of Hogwarts at this year’s Christmas Ball.

By on

How to feel festive during exam season

There is still hope

By on

Top things to do this week

Revision week doesn’t have to be stressful

By , Chief Reporter on

Confessions: What was your worst Tinder date?

‘He told me he had slept with my ex a few weeks earlier so it was literally a date from hell’

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s more important: Face or body?

Pretty face, average bod > average face, fit bod

By and on

What is the best all-girls school in the country?

‘Millie can I borrow a tampon?’

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life