Look of the Week: Prints Charming

As the days get shorter and the weather gets colder, the best way to brighten up your look this week is to wear prints. When Kate Bosworth stepped out at the launch party for Burberry’s new fragrance several weeks ago, she cheered up the dreary Autumn weather with her printed Burberry Prorsum dress proving that bright prints don’t have to be reserved just for the summer months.

With designers showcasing a variety of different patterns on the runway, it could be easy to get lost in a blur of colour with so many intricate prints to choose from. However, fear not, as listed here are the best patterns to take your winter wardrobe from drab to fab.

Animal prints – These are a sure-fire way to heat up your look. With leopard and dalmatian prints most on-trend this season, and the best way to inject them into your look is through one statement piece (you want to avoid looking like Cruella de Vil). Take inspiration from Rachel Bilson and try a leopard print shirt paired with jeans, or a dalmatian print boot or clutch bag as seen on the runway for Topshop Unique to inject the trend into your look subtly; full animal print from head to toe should be reserved for Bongo Ball.

Stars – Ever since Dolce & Gabanna sent models down the catwalk in Milan in star-printed dresses the print has become a popular micro-trend which you should get your hands on quick. Try a fitted midi dress like Anne Hathaway in her Marie Claire spread – Zara has a long star-printed tunic to give you the look for less – or snap up a chiffon pussy-bow blouse from Lipsy to replicate the style seen on the runway. The best steal on the High Street is ASOS’ own belted star-print chiffon dress at £45, perfect for your next night out.

Winter Florals – Floral prints are now not just for summer. Set against darker hues, they dominated the catwalks at Erdem, Mary Katrantzou and Paul Smith, and look particularly elegant on silk fabric. With Pippa Middleton leading the way with a Project D full-length floral gown worn to a charity event, take inspiration from her and browse Oasis’ beautiful range of shorter-length floral shift dresses, such as their Fleurie dress, which is perfect for dinner parties coming up during the festive period.  

Stripes – If a classic look is more your thing you’re in luck: stripes never go out of fashion. Make like Olivia Palermo and pair a classic Breton top with a leather skirt to add a bit of edge. Steer clear of anything too bright, choosing tops in neutral colours with thin black or navy stripes will keep your look timeless. Alternatively, why not try mixing it up a little with loose tops with gold or silver stripes, a look you can instantly take from day to night.

Whatever print you choose, whether it’s a dazzling star-printed shirt or a Secret Garden-inspired floral dress, you are certain to add colour and a little bit of fun to your wardrobe on those cold and dull December days.

Photos © justjared.buzznet.com, dailymail.co.uk, fashion.telegraph.co.uk, www.instyle.co.uk

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Chief Reporter

St Andrews is the best in the UK for Philosophy, Politics and Physics

Tell us something we don’t know

FS raises £30,000 for charity

They auctioned a dinner date with a model and tickets for exclusive access at Milan Fashion Week

May Ball: the gowns, the bows and the ugly

everyone looked nice 👍

, Assistant Editor

Putlocker has been blocked by internet service providers

Goodbye, old friend

Your gym leggings might be causing you health problems

At least they make you look cool

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Can you guess whether these people are pro-Brexit?

See if they’re innies or outies based on their outfit

Can you guess the price of these Waitrose ‘Essentials’?

You paid how much for Ardennes Pâté?

, Argument Editor

Forget London, I’m moving to Bath

It’s better in every single way