Gettin’ jiggy with Elgar

As the nights get long, dark and cold and evenings spent in Ma Bell’s or The Vic. become ever more tiresome, perhaps it is time to try something new:  a […]

As the nights get long, dark and cold and evenings spent in Ma Bell’s or The Vic. become ever more tiresome, perhaps it is time to try something new:  a classier and more cultural St Andrews night out.  

It’s no secret that in St Andrews the performing arts have a huge following.  Mermaids put on 30+ productions per year, the dance society is like a small army and a cappella has blown up thanks to the success of groups such as The Other Guys.

It might surprise you to know that ‘classical’ music now has a following just as big.  The University of St Andrews Symphony Orchestra is a flagship group for the University and over the past year has received endorsements from the Scottish Culture Secretary, the master of the Queen’s music as well as our own principle Prof. Richardson.

Its success is based on innovative projects such as the 600th Anniversary Composition Competition, as a result of which it has become the first University Orchestra in the UK to have a ‘Composer in Residence.’  From September 2011, Welsh composer Mark Boden took on this role which will see him balancing his time between writing commissions for professional groups such as the London Philharmonic Orchestra and The Hebrides Ensemble with brand new cutting edge scores for our own group in St Andrews.  

Other success stories include the appointment of professional conductor Christopher Swaffer as musical director as well as the engagement of internationally renowned cellist, Rudi de Groote as a soloist with the group this year.  Chris joins the group after having worked with some of Europe’s top ensembles such as the St Petersburg Academic Orchestra and the Ukranian State Symphony Orchestra.

Now that the classical music scene finally has some real weight behind it, this semester’s concert (Friday 2nd December, 19:30, Younger Hall) looks to be more exciting than ever.  ‘Headlining’ the concert will be Elgar’s Cello Concerto played by Rudi de Groote.  Rudi was for six years principle cellist of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra and has played with most of the UK’s top Orchestras.  The concerto itself is a cornerstone of the solo cello repertoire and so to perform this with one of the foremost cellists of his generation is a real honour for the Orchestra.

The concert will also feature Britten’s ‘Four Sea Interludes’ from the opera ‘Peter Grimes’ as well as George Lloyd’s Symphony Number 9.  Lloyd’s Symphony is practically unheard of, even by classical music aficionados but represents a wonderfully lyrical score by one of Britain’s great, lost symphonists. 

Four Sea Interludes, from ‘Peter Grimes’ (Op. 33a)
Benjamin Britten

Cello Concerto in E Minor (Op. 85)
Sir Edward Elgar

Symphony No. 9
George Lloyd

Conductor: Christopher Swaffer
Soloist: Rudi de Groote
Leader: Michael Lu

Tickets will be on sale in the 600th shop on Market street and on the door priced at £5 for students.

Written by, Sam Lipworth, standing-room-only writer