Grad ball to be major disappointment

It’s going to be held at the student union

What do you expect from your Graduation Ball?

You’ve slaved away for three or more years to get a degree and finally you reach the end of the era. Where other would you want to celebrate your hard work and achievements, than the…Student Union.

You probably have received a hand delivered invitation inviting you to this years Grad ball. Good job VP Education will be implementing free printing.

Now it’s no secret that Us. haven’t had the best relationship with students over this year with representing, well ‘Us.’ But to have our Graduation ball held at the Student Union seems like a cop out.

The union building is free, and with 2000 tickets at £35 each, the Grad Ball committee have £70,000 to play with.

There were rumours that this year’s headline act would be noughties throwback band Scouting for Girls. The Soton Tab can now reveal that this idea has been scrapped. Thank God.

We spoke to the Union president, Alex Hovden, about what our money will actually be spent on. Turns out it’s mainly decor and multiple headliners. But if the acts are anything like Scouting for Girl’s, I would rather be reliving my traumatic teen days in the cheese room.

The theme is ‘Garden of Eden’ and the Union has been promised to look “unrecognisable’.

Alex told The Tab: “In terms of the finances, those are the two main expenditures (the decor and multiple headliners) on the event yes. There are other costs such as security and temporary notices to the council that we have to pay (which as you can hopefully appreciate adds up), but the bottom line is that every penny we receive in ticket sales is going into making this a fantastic grad ball.”

“Any student is more than welcome to come and chat to me about any concern or issues they have.”