EXCLUSIVE: Interview with the new Union committee

Here is what the new team is about

Sam Higman – VP Welfare

How did it feel to win?

“I was so overwhelmed. It was so amazing to win though, I’m honestly so excited to start with the rest of the Sabb team.”

How did you celebrate your win?

“Lots of hugs off everyone, lots of drinks and Jesters.”

What is your first point of call?

“I’ve already had messages from LGBTQ± in regards to gender neutral toilets ect, and so I think that may be one of the first things I aim to begin. My main goal is probably to achieve as much as I can to positively impact students, and to also be someone that students feel comfortable to come and talk to, whatever the issue.”

Tell us a fun fact about yourself

“Other than dogs, because dos are a gift we don’t deserve, snails are my favourite animal.”

Dan Varley – VP Engagement

What did it feel like to win?

“Amazing! To have won a contested election rather than the uncontested one I won last year, it’s really great to know students have put their faith back in my help to support them.”

How did you celebrate your win?

“One word answer: Jesters”

What is your first point of call?

“More Freshers’ reps and cheaper master passes”

Tell us a fun fact about yourself

I managed 16 nights out in a row in Freshers’ 2015, when I was Gateway Halls Events Officer

Evelyn Reilly – VP DCI

What did it feel like to win?

“Amazing, I really didn’t think I would, I was up against two amazing candidates, so it was a bit of a shock, but in the best way. It’s only just sinking in really.”

How did you celebrate your win?

“Jesters.”

What is your first point of call?

“I’ll be starting my handover soon, and I want to try and get to know better the Creative Industries group I’ll be working with and I want to find out what they want for the coming year and from the training workshops we do for them in the summer. I also want to make sure all the information about the democrat process on the union website is up to date ad information is easier to find.

My main goal would e overall to try and improve things for our CI groups, like getting Performing Arts groups more opportunities to use the professional facilities we have on campus for a fair price, seeing what more we can do to help student media groups to fulfil their creative goals for the year, and helping all groups, not just from creative industries, with making the funding process clearer and more intuitive to use.”

Tell us a fan fact about yourself

“I once lost a shoe in Jesters and had to hop home.”

Arun Aggarwal

What did it feel like to win?

“Strange really! It still hasn’t hit me. But also really great, cause the students voted for me, and that’s so humbling, that people think I’d be able to do a good job.”

How did you celebrate winning?

“We went to Stag’s and Jesters, but to be honest I did that last year as well when I lost for Halls Officer. It was more chilling with my friends and the people I worked with over the campaign period. Seeing the mandem and catching up.”

What is your first point of call?

“Sites is a massive thing – I want to go out to sites more than has currently been done and, whilst there, be able to do stuff for them that is bespoke for their campus. I also want to rep international students a lot more.”

Tell us a fan fact about yourself

“I once went to all of the places on a Monopoly board in London dressed in a leopard print morphsuit for charity, but I had to wear my glasses underneath so I had a bulge in front of my face. That’s fun.”

Stephen Gore – VP Sports development

What did it feel like to win?

“Honestly, I was in complete shock. My opponent had run a very high profile campaign and had hundreds of vocal supporters. No-one could guess what the outcome would be and so I guess the biggest feeling was relief, that it had all been worth it.”

How did you celebrate your win?

“The same as everyone else! I went straight to Jesters and bought many Jesticles.”

What is your first point of call?

“I really want to get to know clubs at a personal level so I can help them achieve their specific goals in developing. I will try to have a sit-down meeting with every newly elected club president in the sports zone as soon as possible. Once they’ve described to me how their club runs, the union will be in a better position to help them develop. Every committee seems to work differently and have different goals.”

Tell us a fun fact about yourself

“Hmmmmmm, I eat kiwis with the skin on, like an apple. It really freaks out my friends.”

Samuel Dedman – VP Education

What did it feel like to win?

“It felt pretty fantastic. The campaigning period is an incredibly intense couple of weeks, and so it was nice to see it all come together in the end!”

How did you celebrate your win?

“By grabbing a late-night McDonalds with my fiancée – not quite a night out, but considering I had work the next day it was definitely the safer bet.”

What is your first point of call?

“Free printing for sure – it is something which students have been requesting for quite some time, and so it would be fantastic to finally deliver on that. Actually, we might even have it ready for the exam period – watch this space!”

Tell us a fun fact about yourself

“I once went to a house party dressed as a teabag. The theme was ‘Historical Fancy Dress’, and as someone doing their dissertation on the East India Company, it was the funniest option I could think of!
It definitely wasn’t the warmest of costumes!” 

Flora Noble – Union President

What did it feel like to win?

“It was the most surreal thing – I was absolutely certain I’d lost it, so it was such a shock! Now it’s all calmed down a bit I’m just really really happy to get to have another year working for students.”

How did you celebrate your win?

“The only way I know how – with a few too many Jesticles! I’ve also spent the weekend having brunch with friends and just generally having some fun, it’s been lovely.”

What is your first point of call?

“I guess for now it’s about getting back to work as VP Student Communities and making sure that the rest of the year is as good as it can be!”

Tell us a fun fact about yourself

I mean I don’t know if this is fun but I went to the same school as Theresa May.