Southampton University hosts their annual dance competition

On Saturday 25th of February, Southampton university’s annual dance competition kicked off flawlessly

It was the first time the annual dance competition was held on campus in the Jubilee Sports Hall and saw the arrival of 12 universities (including Southampton) competing for as many as 12 dance awards. The building was radiating positive vibes from the get go by participants, their parents, friends and SUSUtv who were broadcasting a live stream. Whilst there were the regular strong returners of Buckinghamshire New University and Surrey University, the competition also saw entry from some new universities such as Bath Spa and University of Gloucestershire.

Although there were incredible competition from all the universities, it was a great day for Southampton who came 1st in four categories, 2nd in five and 3rd in one.

Alice Ainsworth and Chrysta said “It was a great day, everyone was so supportive of one another. With all of the other universities coming together and competing, it created an exceptional atmosphere. We did really well which is always nice and everyone’s hard work really paid off!” 

The full results were:

Novice Ballet

3rd Gloucestershire

2nd– Southampton

1st– Buckinghamshire New University

Advanced Ballet

3rd– Essex

2nd– Surrey

1st– Southampton

Novice Tap

3rd– Canterbury Christchurch

2nd– Southampton

1st– Gloucestershire

Advanced Tap

3rd– Buckinghamshire

2nd– Surrey

1st– Southampton

Novice Jazz

3rd– Buckinghamshire New University

2nd– Canterbury Christchurch

1st– Brighton and Winchester tied

Advanced Jazz

3rd Southampton

2nd– Surrey

1st Buckinghamshire New University

Irish

3rd– Gloucestershire

2nd– Buckinghamshire New University

1st– Southampton

Novice Contemporary

3rd– Canterbury Christchurch and Surrey tied

2nd– Southampton

1st– Buckinghamshire New University

Advanced Contemporary

3rd– Surrey

2nd– Buckinghamshire New University

1st– Southampton

Wildcard

3rd– Canterbury Christchurch

2nd– Southampton

1st– Buckinghamshire New University

Novice Street

3rd– Canterbury Christchurch

2nd– Southampton

1st– Winchester

Advanced Street

3rd– Surrey

2nd– Portsmouth

1st– Buckinghamshire new University

Congratulation to all the universities who participated and all those who won an award on the day!

Pure dance is this week (3rd-4th of March) and is set to be just as amazing and everyone is welcomed to attend. Tickets can be found on http://www.o2guildhallsouthampton.co.uk