Southampton Grad guaranteed Gold in Rio

Scott’s win was guaranteed ahead of medal race today

Southampton graduate, Giles Scott, is guaranteed gold in Olympic Finn ahead of the final medal race later today. The four-time world champion secured an uncatchable lead following his scores of second and eighth in the races on Sunday. His points gap means even if he is disqualified in the final medal race, he is guaranteed the gold medal.

Scott explained he has “just managed to sail more consistently than everyone else at the top of the fleet” Adding “It’s just a privilege to be in this position.”

With Scott’s victory, Britain has now won the Fin Men’s heavyweight dinghy class at the last five Olympic games. The 29 year old joins previous Olympic champions Iain Percy (Sydney 2000) and Ben Ainslie (Athens 2004, Beijing 2008 and London 2012)

The final medal race is due to take place at 1pm BST today. Athletes will be racing on the Pão de Açucar (Sugarloaf) course in the hopes of securing one of the remaining medals.

Giles graduated from the University of Southampton in 2008 with a BSc in Geography with Geology.