Union Southampton donates 2.5 TONNES of stuff to charity

8 local charities benefited from students’ donations

The Union Southampton “Shift Your Stuff” campaign gave almost 2.5 tonnes of students’ donations to charity.

The items went to eight charity shops and organisations in Portswood. Charities helped ranged from Bag it Up – who recycle clothes, shoes, textiles and mobile phones to raise money for charity partners – funding air ambulances, new wheelchairs and support for children with life-limiting conditions – to animal charities like the RSPCA, the PDSA and St. Francis Animal Welfare Shelter.

The Union also gave donations to The Society of Saint James – who provide accommodation and support to over 2500 people struggling with homelessness each year. Food Bank Southampton City Mission also received donations from students. Items were also sent to children and young people’s hospices, Naomi’s House and Jack’s place. SCRATCH received donations – the charity provides services to relieve the hardships presented by poverty for people in the Southampton area.

The “Shift Your Stuff” campaign collected unwanted items from students moving home before the summer holidays. Red donation bags were collected in the Union Highfield reception or in free door-step pick-ups. The campaign ran up until the 30th of June.

In the end, a total of 476 bags weighing nearly 2.5 tonnes were donated. VP Welfare David Allwright said “Shift Your Stuff is a fantastic campaign that is a real asset to our Union. It’s a win-win for both students and the charities and I’m proud we are a part of it. Hopefully we can continue to reach more students and be even more successful next year!”

The annual campaign will return at the same time next year, seeking to broaden its reach in Winchester.