Body found in the search for missing Southampton Student

The 26-year-old student went missing on Wednesday 15 June 2016

Liam Day missing student

Family and friends have been sharing Liam's picture on social media in the hope someone will come forward with information

Dorset Police today announced that they recovered the body of a man during the search for missing Southampton student Liam Day.

A spokesperson said “At 12.27pm on Tuesday 28 June 2016 Dorest Police was informed by HM Coastguard of a person in the water off St. Alban’s Head near Swanage. The body of a man was recovered”.

Liam Day, a member of Southampton University’s mountaineering societies, was initially reported missing on Wednesday 15 June 2016, after failing to return home from a solo climbing trip to Swanage. A multi-agency search was launched, with members of Southampton’s bouldering and mountaineering societies trying to help look for the missing student.

The recovered body has not yet been identified, but police confirmed the family of the 26-year-old had been informed of the incident.

Liam’s car and climbing gear were found the day after he went missing. His car was found parked on Durlston road, and his climbing gear was found one mile west of Anvil Point, although no trace of Liam himself was found. Police believe it was possible he was climbing unsupported.

“It is possible that he may have gone deep water climbing which typically involves using a rope to lower down the cliff and then climbing back up unsupported.” – Dorset Police