LATEST: Search for Southampton student has been suspended

Liam Day first went missing on Tuesday

The decision has been made by Dorset police to suspend the search for Southampton student Liam Day who was reported missing earlier this week when he failed to return home from a solo climbing trip in Swanage.

Two coastguard rescue teams, two helicopter and two RNLI lifeboats have assisted with the search for Liam over the past few days. As well as the efforts of the police and coastguard, family and friends have also dedicated several hours to try and find him. Liam’s car and climbing gear were found on Tuesday and have since been collected by his girlfriend, Emily Brown. His car was found parked on Durlston road, and his climbing gear was found one mile west of Anvil Point. Appeals from Emily have been shared hundreds of times on Facebook and she has thanked everyone “for all your kind words and for sharing the information about Liam.”

Message of thanks: Liam’s girlfriend posted this on Facebook upon her return from Dorset

A statement from Swanage lifeboats on Wednesday said “Solent Coastguard requested the launch of both of Swanage’s lifeboats to assist in a multi agency search for a climber … A thorough search of the area was carried out and with nothing found the search area was expanded.” However following two more days of unsuccessful searching the decision has now been made to suspend the search.

Dorset police believe that Liam was “may have gone deep-water climbing, which typically involves using a rope to lower down the cliff and then climbing back up unsupported”.

Police are still appealing for any information regarding the disappearance of the 26 year old student and anyone that believes they have any information about Liam Day are urged to contact Dorset police on 101 and quote incident number 15:04.